Brake assist

GeoUCF14

Hello,
Reoccurring incident on a 2015 Honda Civic Si. Notice that when I lift my foot off the brake pedal, brake pressure is still maintained for another second, maybe second and half. Not an immediate release, like a 'brake assist' feature for manual car's that are traveling uphill, found on other manufactures. I have searched the forum and the manual, and no mention of this feature? I doubt this is normal? Has anybody else experienced this 'brake assist'? Also, it happens with traction control in both settings; on and off. Thanks

Even though it's suppose to do that, I'd want to check to see if you can over ride it, by giving it gas as soon as you lift off the brake, just so you know it can be done. You wouldn't want the car not to move when you want it to.

Mine only does it on a hill, which is what it should do, even on a slight grade. @GeoUCF14 does it do it all the time or only when pulling out on a hill?

Just for an FYI..... Vehicles with air brakes have a release time(time that it takes the air to escape before the brake pad moves away from the disc/drum. We as drivers know that we can step "harder" on the brake pedal to give us more time on a hill from rolling back while we move our feet from the brake to the gas.

Our cars hold on some hills, depending on the grade. I don't know if it's accomplished by the brake or the idle/clutch engagement system.

That tells me what I wanted to know, THX @littleshak ........

That gear position for stopping while facing down hill is an accident waiting to happen............. Facing down hill, long enough to where we would go to the trouble to set the gear in reverse instead of just keeping our foot on the brake, then as time goes by and we're ready to go again, "are" we going to remember we're in reverse ?????

I had some twit in front of me at a fast food car line last week, that was getting ready to pull away from the pay window, then stopped and backed up(I give space when I'm behind cars, but not the issue). I could hear him saying he got the wrong change, but what I'm seeing is his backup light staying on..... So I bleep my horn, and he yells a few obligatory comments..... And I said back, that I'm not worried about that, your car is still in reverse, would you take it out of reverse, THX! Just thought I'd share........:D

If you don't have the car in gear you should be able to get this to stop. So if you have it in neutral at a stop, you can:

-release your right foot brake
-shift gear from neutral into 1st
-release clutch/accelerate

if you get into a habit of doing this fast enough you won't even roll

Do the 2012s have this feature? I've never noticed it.
Yes the(MY) 2012's have this hill hold, I've tried it to see, but I've been holding my foot on the brake for so long I just don't trust it, since it's picky about what degree the hill is.

Thanks for all the reply's and tips. Yes, I notice it on hills and slight slopes, never experienced it on level ground- guess it is working properly.

Hmm weird. I tried to invoke this today. Was on an incline, put the car in 1st and held clutch in. Would still roll backwards when I let off the brake....

You can kinda trick it by not putting the clutch all the way in when in first. It looks for the fully depressed clutch switch to trigger it. I just lift my foot slightly off the floor before I put it in gear. This feature can be a little annoying but has its advantages in traffic on hills.

I haven't gotten it to work once since reading about it here... I need to check my manual and see if the 2012s have it

I'm leaning towards the earlier SI models as "not equipped" an auto ex may have different features. It triggers on me with a decent 20 degree or more incline

Definitely does not exist in the 13 SI. Never had an issue using the E-Brake to ensure I don't roll back in traffic though.

That tells me what I wanted to know, THX @littleshak ........

That gear position for stopping while facing down hill is an accident waiting to happen............. Facing down hill, long enough to where we would go to the trouble to set the gear in reverse instead of just keeping our foot on the brake, then as time goes by and we're ready to go again, "are" we going to remember we're in reverse ?????

I had some twit in front of me at a fast food car line last week, that was getting ready to pull away from the pay window, then stopped and backed up(I give space when I'm behind cars, but not the issue). I could hear him saying he got the wrong change, but what I'm seeing is his backup light staying on..... So I bleep my horn, and he yells a few obligatory comments..... And I said back, that I'm not worried about that, your car is still in reverse, would you take it out of reverse, THX! Just thought I'd share........:D

This is a new feature on the 2015 Civics. The reverse comment is for backing up a hill, not stopping then starting on a downhill - but, I agree it shouldn't be mentioned as someone will try it - and I hope we're not behind them!
The 2016's will have a Brake Hold feature button on the console right above the electric Parking Brake - I like that.

Last edited:
Back