Brake grinding noise? non 9thgen issue.....

Nomar06

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Toys For Tots
Charlotte-ish, NC
Vehicle Model
Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Body Style
@bootyluvr hates hatches
Getting some grinding noise in the front and I think it is the brakes but the noise will go away after the first kinda heavy braking to a stop at a red light.

Checked the pads a few months ago and they looked fine. Plenty of pad life left, no noticable marks on the disc but maybe on the inside?

Going to try to leave early today to pull the wheel off and get a new closer look.

I picked up some nice surface rust on the back side of my rotors last summer. Sounds like the same thing you're describing, and they had to be turned.

• Staff
I will check on that when i get in there today. No noise on the lunch drive.

it usually happens overnight when it's damp/humid outside or been sitting for a longer time period

^^ which is how mine happened. Hadn't driven it for like a week, and super high humidity = rusted

Doesn't that type of rust come right off after braking a bit also? I've heard of brake rot happening on dealer lots when cars sit too long. Thought surface rust like that isn't deep though.

I drove it for a week or so...trying to get it to resolve and it didn't. It can over time, but you also run the risk of doing damage to the pads. It was like 25 or 30 bucks for them to turn it.

Turns out the inside pad on the drivers side was worn way more than the other three pads in the front. The grinding was from the warning strip thing hitting the rotor. I will take pics of the pads tomorrow.

Pad change took less than an hour....pretty easy. Easier than I thought. I think I need a fluid change since the pedal feel and travel seems about the same as with the worn pads.

No....they were some Hawk pads I have been using for a long while now. The pads on there now are stock pads.

Back