Broken sway bar 14 civic si

Aaron Vucsko

Hello, I recently had my 14 civic si lowered with eibach lowering springs. The next day after picking my car up I started hearing a scraping noise which turned out to be a broken sway bar. I hadn't even driven for 24 hrs before I took it back. My mechanic said he didn't know how it happened and I shouldn't be concerned, but I am. Anyone know what could cause this? Thanks

Sway bar end links are removed from the strut assembly in the front to install springs and the back as well, not sure what part of your sway bar is broken..?

He probably says not to be concerned because he didn't tighten the end links back up. It may not be broken at all. I would inspect the end links and the bar for damage and wear.

I'm with everyone here the chances of something actually breaking are highly unlikely. A loose end link could cause a scraping metal on metal noise since it would allow extra movement. If you can get under your car look for anything that seems loose. If you find something loose you will need a 14mm wrench and I believe it is a 5mm allen key to tighten the end links back up.

Hello, I recently had my 14 civic si lowered with eibach lowering springs. The next day after picking my car up I started hearing a scraping noise which turned out to be a broken sway bar. I hadn't even driven for 24 hrs before I took it back. My mechanic said he didn't know how it happened and I shouldn't be concerned, but I am. Anyone know what could cause this? Thanks
You didn't mention if it was the front or the rear sway bar. I highly doubt the sway bar actually broke. What did you mechanic replace?
:feedback:

Thanks for the feedback peeps. He did not mention weather it was the back or front , but what actually broke was the link. He showed it to me and it snapped right where it was bolted on, the bolt actually snapped in half. He said he wasn't sure why it happened, but surely there's a reason. Made me kinda sketched out.

Was it long or short? The fronts are long, about 13" or so. Backs are short, about 4".

Did you upgrade the sway bars?

It could be as simple as he tightened them and they snapped. Those parts do rust quick.

Front or rear should be easy to tell. The fronts are long gangly things and the rears are short and stubby.

Front:

moog-moog-k750605-large-1.jpg

Rear:

s-l225.jpg

Did the link itself break? Or just the nut on the end? If the nut on the end was loose and moving around I would not be surprised that the threaded shaft broke. Sounds like the mechanic didn't torque it down properly but you need to recheck bolts on anything you install after a brief test drive.

It was the front. It wasn't straight like the pic either, it was bent and there was even what appeared to be a gouge in it. He said it could have been steel fatigue, but I couldn't believe that either considering my car barely has 10k miles on it.

or learn how to work on your car. You will save yourself some money and headache.

You get the progress 24mm bar for the rear... or you got a thicker front bar?

Back