Call from the dealership today...

Caestus75

I just received a call from the dealership I bought my new 2014 Si from 6+ Months ago. It was the sales person who had called me. They never cashed my downpayment check. It was only for 1000 dollars so I never noticed and I no longer have that account anymore. It's been closed because it was compromised a few weeks ago and I changed banks

I currently am saving to move to Florida so I do not have any extra money right now... Suggestions or advice?

I honestly don't know what to tell you. It's strange that it took them so long to cash your check.:screwy: I guess they now want their $1000 huh?

Six months!?!?! That check wouldn't be good now anyways. I would love to say it's their mistake and they should eat it but but I don't think it would work unless you get a lawyer involved.

Technically you have done everything you have agreed upon at the time of purchase.

I actually know the owner of the dealership.. I might shoot them a text... I try not to pester them with car stuff though.... I called Honda Financial Services and they told me if I keep paying they can't repo my car which was my biggest fear and it's something that I and the dealer had to work out.

With all the scams ppl try, it's best to see that owner you know and talk to him about this, plus with the info on keeping up the payments is a good thing, but they "should" work with you on this, since it was their fault they put you in this spot.
Also you need to cross check your bank statements every month against your check book, in the future...... "Since it's was only $1000", If it was, than why is it a problem now? You said it not me!
I wasn't good at this stuff in my 1st 30/40 years either, just saying...........:D

I'd handle it or make payment arrangements ASAP. Your credit will suffer because they will not hesitate to send to collection agency and ding your credit. Good luck!

I talked to a buddy of mine who runs an FCA (Fiat-Chrysler) dealer, and he said it's a classic case of the dealer committing transaction fraud.

He explained that on new purchases and leases, the dealer can subsidize downpayment, meaning they took $1000 from their bank account and put it in holding accounts with high-interest income. When they ask for it again, what you are doing is SIMPLY GIVING THEM AN EXTRA $1000, because they have already made that money 5x over due to their interest in cash-float subsidies, and want to nickel and dime you for more.

According to their books, you still owe the $1000. According to my buddy, you need to lawyer up.

I don't envy your situation...

Good luck, my friend.

With all the scams ppl try, it's best to see that owner you know and talk to him about this, plus with the info on keeping up the payments is a good thing, but they "should" work with you on this, since it was their fault they put you in this spot.
Also you need to cross check your bank statements every month against your check book, in the future...... "Since it's was only $1000", If it was, than why is it a problem now? You said it not me!
I wasn't good at this stuff in my 1st 30/40 years either, just saying...........:D

I should check my bank statements but I usually have direct deposit from work for large dollars (not bragging) It was also a time I got a quarterly bonus from work on top of my normal 2 weeks pay I generally do not check pay stubs so I just figured my bonus was lower than normal.

Also wouldn't a lawyer cost me more than 1000 dollars anyways?

I should check my bank statements but I usually have direct deposit from work for large dollars (not bragging) It was also a time I got a quarterly bonus from work on top of my normal 2 weeks pay I generally do not check pay stubs so I just figured my bonus was lower than normal.

I honestly don't know about the lawyer part, I've never used one(K-o-wood)........
Now about keeping track of your bank statement..... You should be getting a bank statement every month... There's a section that will tell you about any moneys that were put in your account & how much that was....... and there's a section about any automatic withdrawals you have taken out..... Then there's a section showing what each check you used each month............... Just go though the statement and mark each thing to see it was done, and that the total matches your figures and theirs.
You said you don't do this usually, now's a good time to start, or you can see yourself in deep do-do later......
Hopefully someone else can advise you on "IF" a lawyer would cost you anything, I'd think most will take a percentage of what they get for you, they want you to use them.
Like I said in the beginning, it sounds like a scam, if not, they were incompetent, and shouldn't be on you for it, but keep making the car payments on time while dealing with this.

The dealership has made a mistake and want you to take complete responsibility? I would ask them for a small rebate, of, say $200, for the hardship this is causing you. Give them $800 and call it a day.

The dealership has made a mistake and want you to take complete responsibility? I would ask them for a small rebate, of, say $200, for the hardship this is causing you. Give them $800 and call it a day.

No no no. you have it all wrong. He now owes them $1,000 plus interest for the short term loan!

If they just called about finding the check and trying to cash it, it sounds like they just want the $1,000 you committed to them for the car - pay them what you owe and it's all over.

Sounds like you shouldnt have a problem making payment? Just gram one of them "large dollars" and call it a day problem solved

Sounds like you shouldnt have a problem making payment? Just gram one of them "large dollars" and call it a day problem solved

You are correct. It's more of a principle thing you know? Additionally I am moving to South Florida and I know the cost of living is a lot more. Currently my 900 dollars a month rent will turn into a 2500 mortgage for a 1000 sq ft condo you know? Also need to put down 20% on top of moving expenses >_< I generally budget things out.

Just caught up on all of this, glad to see it could have actually been clerical error, and not a fraudulent mishap. My bud said you'd be surprised at how many dealers do that, and how many are successful.

image.jpg

Yeah it was Lindsay Honda here in Central Ohio. They have mixed reviews but like I said I know the ower and his Daughter and they are super chill.

Back