Calling all HID (non projector) 9th gen drivers

Matsweeper

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Sedan
Hey guys,
So this December it will be officially one year owning my 2014 civic EXL with nav. I'm LOVING my car. Since then i've added 35% tint, oem splash guards, and oem all weather floor mats/trunk tray.

I'm not looking got heavy mod my car, just basics. All i really want is HID, oem door visor, LED all around lighting for interior and license plate, illuminated door sill, and upgraded pioneer speakers all around.

My questions. the next step i want to take is HID. I REALLY have been spoiled using Bi-Xenon headlights for 9 years plus. Going to halogen just doesn't cut it. i've debated getting the silvania but for that price and lifespan, just doesn't make sense.

I was really contemplating doing the installation myself, i feel I can but i want to make sure I cover all steps and it seems like a lot. The Retrofit does look great, and output is awesome, but it's a big project I never did and wouldn't feel to comfortable baking my headlights and possibly not sealing them correctly or getting condensation.

I contacted a place in NJ called lightwerkz. They offer retrofit and HID installation and from the look of their website and some reviews, they seems like a good place. I request a quote and what they told me is this.

Full conversion would be $1,100 retrofit
Morimoto HID kit $150 plus labor $100 per hour should take about 1-1.5 hours.

I just feel like even though my car is a 25k car, 1 grand seems like a lot. I've seen 9th gen civics driving around with HID on a NON PROJECTOR halogen housing and it does NOT blind me. On coming, behind me, or on my rear view mirror. There was only one car I saw that the left headlight was fine but the right was aimed a bit higher and i saw it brighter, but nothing blinding. I feel like this would be a great upgrade for me.

What is weird is, 90% of HID kids I've seen on 9th gen cars have a bluer tint to it. I guess 8000k. I don't know why if it provides less output of light? I personally want to do 4300k - 5000k. I'm doing it for visibility and not color.

What do you guys recommend? Also if you have HID on your NON projector can you please:
-Post picture of the output of light
-What color temp
-If you did the installation yourself, was it too difficult? are you afraid the cables will get damaged or fuse out?
-Weather or not you like it? what you don't like. headlight shots aren't to important. I want to see how much it lights up.

This would be HUGE help. I plan on visiting this place tomorrow or next week, and I really want to see your opinion. I know many people say don't do it because it will blind others. But i feel like the housing on our cars are shaped a way that is not the traditional round housing. IDK. i don't seem to have an issue when i saw the civics.

Thanks!!!!

I always go with a 6000k for a true White (diamond white I think is what it's usually labeled) and there is no blue at that temp.
I have done it on a few cars where I hooked up the Ballasts and HIDs on an OEM housing, it's very easy, and I usually find Kits around 50 bucks, and the kit for the 9006 is cheaper than that, and I ran this particular brand in each car. A Pathfinder was the only car where I had an issue bc the ground the headlights like ****, which is common in the 300c as well.

http://www.hidillusionz.com/contact.html
ask for Rich ^ & tell him webby sent you from 9thcivic

You can get a set of mini h1's for well under $1100 done from him. In all honesty, you can get a set of "high end" oem projectors done for less than that. Mini h1's are cheap projectors. There is nothing wrong with them, but the labor to mount mini h1's is next to nothing. The labor on installing a set of acura or other oem branded projectors is much more time consuming & the projectors are more expensive too. He's done a retro for me, & a lot of other users here. He'll set you up with a wire harness, relays, and everything you need to get the job done. You don't have to worry about frying wires, popping fuses, or anything. It's all handled by the wire harness you can get from him.

you can get an idea of how some brand name projectors compare on output here
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/hid-projectors-compared-round-2.7652/

I got my hids in 8k, from modifystreet.com and the were $59.99 shipped with slim ballasts. They work amazing! People can say oh they are so cheap, but I get compliments on them all the time and they have lasted me 4 1/2 months with no problems, and my friend has had them for 2 years with no problems. Check them out

There are a lot of different companies out there. Some are the best are diode dynamics, ddm tuning and The Retrofit Source. Give them all a call or shoot them a call and see who you feel the most comfortable with.

Well not trying to bomb on any companies, but I have multiple friends with hids from ddm tuning and their balasts burn out quickly and their bulbs blow out all the time. Maybe they just got bad sets, I'm not to sure. But they have all switched to modify street and have been more than happy. It's all personal preference

It certainly is personal preference and everyone has had different experiences. I could certainly be biased as I work in this industry but that wouldn't help anyone

Well it does, by you giving reccomendations to the op. All the feedback from different people will allow them to do research and chose a kit. We have him a few good brands that he can check out to make his purchase :)

You can definitely do better than $1k for minis.

Send messages to some other retrofitters and see what kind of quotes you can get. Especially with better projectors. I had mine done a while ago with much better projectors, bulbs, ballasts, and some extras for around that price.

Check on the retrofit source website for other recommended retrofitters.

I will say we have a set of headlights from HID illusions that Webby mentioned and I can vouch for their work being top notch.

Something else to consider is that if you send your housings off to be retro'd you will have some down time with your car unless you buy a second set of housings.

edit: It's totally worth it. Seriously. Spend the money, you will be very happy.

I got mine from procivic.com and they work great and blind everyone. Onex kit I believe.

Cree 9005/9006 led headlight bulbs are plug and play. No conversion to projector and they are 3200 lumen each for a total of 6400lumen lobeam. I have lobeam, hibeam, and fog so my total light output is 19200 lumens. It lights it up like daylight and if someone cuts you off even during twilight hours it blinds the **** out of them.

I will agree the LEDs are pretty bright but they're not quite as bright as HIDs yet. We've done some testing with them, I would say they're a good alternative for HIDs tho.

Also another thought see if any local members are in the area. They may be able to hook you up with the retrofit setup u desired. For a way better price than 1k.

I just installed him HIDs on my 2012 SI. It was easy. Didn't even need a radio code. 6k all the way!!!

Good stuff, people may have said to have the radio code ready cuz some disconnect the battery
Yeah. I had the dealer on standby in case I needed it since I took out my battery. Now gotta figure out how to change the fogs without removing the bumper. Any advice? Lol

Yeah. I had the dealer on standby in case I needed it since I took out my battery. Now gotta figure out how to change the fogs without removing the bumper. Any advice? Lol
Honestly I would say to just remove the bumper. Its a pita mounting the ballasts and trying to get everything to plug up. I have done it in the past but cut up my hands and arms

Honestly I would say to just remove the bumper. Its a pita mounting the ballasts and trying to get everything to plug up. I have done it in the past but cut up my hands and arms
Crap. Lol... I get too weary removing them damn plastic clips. Break to easily.

Back