bootyluvr

Supporting Member
VIP Member
Toys For Tots
Baltimore, MD
Vehicle Model
2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6
36-2012-chevrolet-cruze-eco-review-opt.jpg

From the headlines-we-never-expected-to-see file: "Stick shifts popular again..." Yes, we thought manual transmissions were on their deathbed, what with every carmaker bemoaning low take rates and reports that Volkswagen has decided to do away with them in both its Audi R8 sports car and throughout the range of Lamborghini models. But lo and behold, it seems that manuals accounted for 6.5 percent of new vehicle sales during the first quarter this year, the highest take rate since 2006, according to Edmunds.com numbers cited by USA Today.

This surge in popularity comes despite a 10-percent drop in the percentage of new models offering stick shifts in the past five years, according to the report. The change in consumer behavior has surprised some automakers, including Ford, who told the newspaper that demand for a manual in the Focus is nearly 10 percent, more than double the automaker's original forecast.

Of course before we get too excited – or give credit to the Car and Driver "Save the Manuals" campaign – let's keep in mind that a decade ago, when we first started to hear the groundswell against the manual from automakers, the take rate for manuals was still running above 8 percent. And we're still faced with an inevitable demographic shift as Millennials, born after automatic transmissions became dominant, grow up. The best we can hope for is to teach those willing to learn and hope to keep the manual tranny around as long as possible.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/01/...nual-transmissions/?ncid=dynaldusauto00000003

Interesting! I'm glad.

I saw that bmw had a patent for a 7 speed manual in the last few weeks or so... the amount of manuals being made is still low.

I love me a good stick shift :eyebrows:

On a serious note, I think most cars should be manual. You'd probably a change in peoples' driving for the best

I just read an article a month or two ago saying that the percentage of new cars sold with manuals in 2010 0r 2011 was down to 4%. Of course I can't find it now! But that number seemed low to me, I figured it would have been double that. This NPR article puts it at 8%.

My household is an outlier, as we sit at 66%. :)

I like that over 90% of people can't drive my car... including my wife. :excited:

No, thank goodness. She refuses to touch any of my vehicles.

She has terrible luck with automobiles, and a nasty habit of damaging/destroying them.

:rotfl: I really laughed, but I know that's not funny. I'm sure that's got to be frustrating.

My si is my first stick n I love it. A lil annoying in heavy traffic but still love it. Been interested in manual becuz of that fact that most women don't drive it and I remember being told that real drivers drive stick, and I wanted to b a real driver. Only me n my dad drive stick in my house n I don't wanna teach my brother. He has a nasty habit of sneaking out with car keys n not even putting in gas lol. Yay for manual tranny!

I used to get a bunch of poo from my cousins that I drove an auto since in their countries autos are not too common due to price and availability. They had to drive manuals for their drivers tests.

I used to get a bunch of poo from my cousins that I drove an auto since in their countries autos are not too common due to price and availability. They had to drive manuals for their drivers tests.

I can't picture most people taking the drivers test in a manual vehicle... :omg:

BMW Dropping Manual Transmissions On All M5/M6 Models

Inside Line reports that the next M5, and the M6 for that matter, will not feature a manual transmission option. BMW M-brand Engineering chief Albert Biermann reportedly told IL that manual-equipped M5 models are topping out at 15 percent of total sales, making the MT a money-loser for the brand. Biermann claims that the volume of manual transmission buyers makes it all but impossible to make another three-pedal M5, adding "nobody wants it in Europe or anywhere else, so this will be the last time we do it."

Really not a big deal in my mind. Although I'm sure BMW would like me to think otherwise, M5/M6 are fat, waddling automobiles - more luxury than performance. Not a sector typically associated with manually shifting drivers.

Still working on my wife to learn how to drive the stick... On a side note, my 13 year old will be required to drive a manual when she is driving age...that also goes for her two sisters, if there is such thing as a manual when they are driving age...

Back