Car key battery life

chyld_89

Hey guys, it's been way too long since I've been on, and I do apologize I'm not an active member. I wish I had the money in the world to do all the mods I'd like, but life doesn't make it that easy :/.

Anyway, as the topic says, I have concerns/questions about the battery for the car key. Before I go on, I have a 14' Si sedan. Basically, I've had this car for almost 3 years now, and back in February of this year, the dashboard notified me that my car key battery was low and needed to be changed. Luckily I have the other key and just thought "ok I'm covered", but now the same issue is happening and I'm wondering if any other members are or have experienced this problem, and what steps should I take to fix this in the most least expensive way.

Personally, I feel like it's BS that this is happening so soon. Idk if it's something on my end that I did to exhaust the battery life or if Honda did this intentionally to make customers spend more money on something that's suppose to last-IMO-at least 5 years.

I wasn't sure where to place this topic and couldn't find anything on here, so I apologize if this matter was mentioned before. All help is greatly appreciated.

I have the same car, a '14 Si sedan. I have also had the car just under 3 years but have had no issues with the fobs. However I did have to take in the wife's vehicle for the issue you are having and they replaced the fobs. We had replaced the battery in hers in April and it stated the battery was low just a few weeks ago. Now hers is a Dodge but the issue is the same. You should still be under factory warranty and if the dealer has any merit, they should be replacing the fobs.

@chyld_89 I have a '14 coupe and I had the same issue.
I started using the second key and the same message came up shortly after I started using it so I just went ahead and replaced both batteries in both key fobs.
I was no big deal. It's so simple to do and the batteries are cheap to buy.
Your "problem" is perfectly normal.

Back