carbon ceramic brake pads

eric.schwartz.

Hey everyone so on my 2014 Civic Si coupe when I'm ready to replace the brake pads which are creating a lot of brake dust, of course I was looking at racing brake pads carbon ceramic brake pads to be specific. Similar or identical to how a Porsche is. However the mechanics at Pep Boys and other people have told me that I should replace the rotors as well for the most amount of grip and bite. Is that true? The reason I ask is because I had an RSX and I put carbon ceramic brake pads on a car with stock rotors and it was fine. What is everyone's thoughts regarding this? Thanks for your help and input I appreciate it.

I would replace the rotors even if you just use new stock rotors for peace of mind. Over time the material composition of the rotor changes slightly especially if they have been heat cycled several times from racing. The change in composition creates areas of the rotor that are harder and can often be felt as what seems like a warped rotor even if there is no runout whatsoever, and creates an inconsistent braking feeling.

I would replace the rotors even if you just use new stock rotors for peace of mind. Over time the material composition of the rotor changes slightly especially if they have been heat cycled several times from racing. The change in composition creates areas of the rotor that are harder and can often be felt as what seems like a warped rotor even if there is no runout whatsoever, and creates an inconsistent braking feeling.
So you're saying that it is recommended to actually replace he rotors as well? That sounds like a really expensive job but I do brake hard and want powerful brakes with no fading, and very little to no brake dust as well.

It never hurts to replace them. You just want some decent blanks, avoid drilled or slotted rotors as they offer no real benefit other than looks. Shop around for the best deal but a set of quality rotors will probably cost you about as much as the full set of track pads your going to buy.

I'm in the same boat, I don't need brakes yet but I want a solid choice made when I do decide to change them and I want something a little better than stock.

I'm in the same boat, I don't need brakes yet but I want a solid choice made when I do decide to change them and I want something a little better than stock.
Exactly, which is why I'm not so sure I want new rotors I've never done that before with carbon ceramic pads but I do want something better than stock for sure! I do brake hard, trail brake, heat my brake pads up a lot!

Back