Catback vs header?

Yongee

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to modding, and I wanted to get started with the exhaust seeing that I have an intake already.
I'm stuck on know what the real difference would be.
Does the full race exhaust system = header, downpipe, the whole deal?
and what is the true difference between changing the header, downpipe, getting a catback for the mod?
I've been doing a little bit of researching and it seems like getting a skunk2 header will = more power, and more sound, but I'm trying to lay low from too much noise.
Any feedback welcome!!

No more headers, the exhaust manifold is integrated into the block on your engine. It's just a downpipe to catback now. You've got a few options. For downpipes Full Race, Ultimate, and RV-6 all make high quality pieces with or without cats. The rest of the exhaust system is up to you depending on what you like for looks, noise, and price. I have read that the invidia Q300 is one of the quietest exhausts but is still slightly louder than the stock system.

Downpipes here:

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2012-civic-downpipe-list-with-product-info-links.6853/

Exhausts here:

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2012-civic-exhaust-list-with-product-links-info.6912/

So whicj one gives the most performance boost? In my search for my exhaust its speed>all

Catless down pipes would give the most gains out of a cat back, intake, and downpipe if you have to choose one. Atleast for our 9th gens.

Yup, but to effectively run the DP's you will definitely need FP. Otherwise it's really just $$ down the drain. I think you will throw a CEL also IIRC. Enough acronyms there? hahaha.

Yup, but to effectively run the DP's you will definitely need FP. Otherwise it's really just $$ down the drain. I think you will throw a CEL also IIRC. Enough acronyms there? hahaha.
oooook. you lost me at CEL

DP - Downpipe

FP - Hondata Flashpro, also requires a tune... (vitviper and e tunes)

CEL - What he said above.

IIRC - If I remember correctly.... hahahah

Others have done the downpipe without flashpro without issue. No check engine lights. They just said when they went with flashpro later it made a big difference in gains.

Reactions: Nix
So I've decided on a FR catback system, just to double check, I would have to buy a separate downpipe if I wanted more performance correct?
I'll be getting my car tuned after this upgrade!

So I've decided on a FR catback system, just to double check, I would have to buy a separate downpipe if I wanted more performance correct?
I'll be getting my car tuned after this upgrade!

If you are getting a tune after the upgrade, get the downpipe first. You will get much better gains out of it than the catback exhaust.

Back