Chip on Hood

Yes yes it did help. And the bad part is I live in a border city. Plates were from Mexico
Then just ask the Mexican police to find the driver and have them pay for it.......... "O"....SNAP........ That's right it would cost more to pay-off the mexican poilce than it would to buy a new hood......... :D

Ouch... lol
I just got my second chip yesterday and I am so sad.
First was minuscule and I guess the new one is too, but I CAN SEE THEM!
And it doesn't help that they r just an inch apart or so...
Well looks like u solved ur issue... I am still unsure of how I am going to proceed

It would be great to see someone, who knows what their doing, create a DIY to show the proper way to repair a paint chip.

:hail: Maybe RaskyR1 can help?

LOL. My feelings on chips are different than most.

Rock chips are a never ending battle and I just don't see the point in trying to make them perfect by layering coats to build up a film of touch up paint to the point where it can be wet sanded smooth. Creating a how to on that is just opening a can of worms for inexperienced users to do more damage to their paint. Wet sanding is an acquired skill which takes time to master, its not something a person should be doing on their own cars for the very first time and I don't want my name anywhere near that! ;)

My advice, buy the touch-up pens from this site, carefully dab in the paint and walk away. If you go with a clear bra I would wrap the whole hood too, not just the front 12"-18". Stop tailgating like me and it will also reduce the number of chips you get. :D

If you insist on trying to make the chips as perfect as can be, look at some of the paint touch up systems that are out there which don't require wet sanding.

http://www.autogeek.net/dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair.html

http://www.autogeek.net/langka-paint-chip-repair-kit.html

Cheers, :)
Rasky

I say touch up paint and wrap it with vynle same color as your car or matte Black /Carbon fiber

Another excellent video from Larry! :thumb:

I look at things a little differently though, at least when it comes to daily driver cars. While a person doing the work on their own car could probably care less about the time they are spending doing the touch up, in my world I tend to put a value to my time. I bill custom work like this at a rate of $60/hr in my shop. The cost for the amount of time I would spend doing touch-ups to the level in Larry's video on a clients car would likely exceed the cost to have a body shop repaint the whole panel. Not to mention that rock chips are a never ending battle! For a rare car or exotic this process is great and Larry did an amazing job of showing it in detail. With cars like that repainting can devalue them significantly and the cost to have someone do the touch-up is probably worth it.

I still cringe at the idea of someone with no experience in wet sanding doing something like this themselves....in fact I just saw another post a couple week ago on Autogeek where the user went through the clear....I actually thought about linking it here too! ;)

Great video though and I have a few clinets that I should send it too...thanks for posting Dar Dar!

Larry did mention on his previous vids that wet sanding is like using a clay bar. You just let it glide. I guess that person pressed the sand paper hard on the paint. :ohnoes:

I really like the idea of hole punching the sand paper and gluing that tiny piece on the rubber end of a pencil. It's pretty ingenious.

I try to learn much more about detailing and Larry's vids, as well as your tips RaskyR1 Nix and everyone else's, are very informative stuff.

Ouch! That's a nasty one. sorry man! :(

That's probably a $500+ fix at a body shop and most likely your deductible is going to be that high. If you go this route don't try to find a shop with the lowest price! Find a reputable shop or you will regret it, trust me! ;)

Personally, I would just order some touch-up paint pens from here and call it a day. You can get the Primer, color, and clear and these are much easier to use then the pen/brush ones you get at the dealer. Done carefully it should look pretty good when your done.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/paintpen.asp

I also strongly advise against try to wet sand and level unless you are experienced at doing so. I can do a quick search on a few forums and show you dozens of newbs that tried, failed, and basically sanded though their clear coat, thus making it worse.

Hope this helps,
Rasky
I had the same problem with my paint. Mine is extremely small so i think paint pen is fine. the color matched paint pen, clear coat pen, and primer pen? or just the color matched and clear coat?

Larry did mention on his previous vids that wet sanding is like using a clay bar. You just let it glide. I guess that person pressed the sand paper hard on the paint. :ohnoes:

I really like the idea of hole punching the sand paper and gluing that tiny piece on the rubber end of a pencil. It's pretty ingenious.

Well the motion may be the same/similar as claying but the level of cut is way different. :)

I had the same problem with my paint. Mine is extremely small so i think paint pen is fine. the color matched paint pen, clear coat pen, and primer pen? or just the color matched and clear coat?

Depends on the chip. If it's down to bare metal I would get the primer too as the paint won't adhere to the bare metal very well and may flake off over time.

its very minimal. You wouldn't notice unless you are looking. I just dont want it to get any worse or cause any further damage.

Back