Clunky transmission?

hwasa

Long Beach, CA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
I have a 2014 civic si and this is my first manual car. It seems like the transmission is kind of clunky... Sometimes when i shift i hear like a thud/clunk kid of noise from under the car. Does anyone have any comments on this? I know its vague but I don't know if this is normal or if I should be concerned. Thanks!

All manuals make some amount of noise. The Si seems to be louder than a lot of other cars though. Not really sure why mechanically though. It's almost like the gears or syncros are thicker or heavier than normal. You can hear the clunk from engaging a gear.

Why some are noisier than others is usually because of the angle of the teeth meeting, the more straight vrs's an angle.
But, it can be more noticeable if you're not shifting properly, use less clutch(don't push it to the floor, that just gives the clutch, engine/drive-train more time doing nothing instead of spinning together). Practice, Practice, Practice!

Why some are noisier than others is usually because of the angle of the teeth meeting, the more straight vrs's an angle.
But, it can be more noticeable if you're not shifting properly, use less clutch(don't push it to the floor, that just gives the clutch, engine/drive-train more time doing nothing instead of spinning together). Practice, Practice, Practice!
Yeah I have been pushing it to the floor because I wasn't sure if shortening the travel would hurt the clutch or not. Thanks for the advice!

That means your transmission is GOOD! Step in the front of any preformance car (I've tested STI and corvette) you will have a heavy clunk as the car moves from gear to gear, a solid click. go into any car less powerful and the transmission feels limp and quiet switching from gear to gear.

Yeah I have been pushing it to the floor because I wasn't sure if shortening the travel would hurt the clutch or not. Thanks for the advice!
I had to learn this too- my shifting is smoother too when I'm not pushing it ALL the way to the floor, but really close to it!

Back