Common Si Upgrades?

Rutts

Hello folks,

So I do not currently own a Honda Civic Si. However I did test drive a 2012 Si and I really enjoyed it. I am seriously thinking about buying one.

A few things I would like to know before I get the Si. What are the most common engine upgrades that you guys do for some extra power and how much does each upgrade cost and what does it give you? For example, with an intake, tune, and an exhaust, what would you be putting down?

Now I realize there are million things to take into account, but I am looking for a ball park. I do know a thing or two about cars :)

Hey there, welcome to the forum.

There are a few common mods that are pretty popular for the 2012. Honda has been changing things on the cars every year so what applies to the 2012/13 is starting to be different on the 2014s.

I would recommend that you look into Hondata Flashpro first. Most people say that it improves the car significantly even without any other parts. It's an engine management system and you will need a tune. Vitviper is one of the most popular tuners out there and he offers packages on his website.

Another great bang for your buck mod on the 2012 is to upgrade the size of the rear sway bar. Progress makes one, a 22mm, that is very popular and pretty reasonably priced under $200 available from several forum vendors.

The most significant gains in terms of power have come from swapping out the downpipe in the exhaust. Lots of the intakes have not shown any real gains other than a couple of massive CAI setups. Honda seems to have tuned the stock intake manifold and intake system very very well. Gains on the exhaust side have been decent though.

You could look into the Full Race DP and 3" exhaust and there is also another company, ultimate I believe, who make another nice downpipe as well.

Hopefully that helps a bit. I know @323 and @squiggy have done some pretty significant mods to their cars. They might have more insight and solid numbers for you though. Well, let us know if you end up getting the car!

Hey there, welcome to the forum.

There are a few common mods that are pretty popular for the 2012. Honda has been changing things on the cars every year so what applies to the 2012/13 is starting to be different on the 2014s.

I would recommend that you look into Hondata Flashpro first. Most people say that it improves the car significantly even without any other parts. It's an engine management system and you will need a tune. Vitviper is one of the most popular tuners out there and he offers packages on his website.

Another great bang for your buck mod on the 2012 is to upgrade the size of the rear sway bar. Progress makes one, a 22mm, that is very popular and pretty reasonably priced under $200 available from several forum vendors.

The most significant gains in terms of power have come from swapping out the downpipe in the exhaust. Lots of the intakes have not shown any real gains other than a couple of massive CAI setups. Honda seems to have tuned the stock intake manifold and intake system very very well. Gains on the exhaust side have been decent though.

You could look into the Full Race DP and 3" exhaust and there is also another company, ultimate I believe, who make another nice downpipe as well.

Hopefully that helps a bit. I know @323 and @squiggy have done some pretty significant mods to their cars. They might have more insight and solid numbers for you though. Well, let us know if you end up getting the car!

Great! Thank you.
I was looking into the flashpro and a down pipe upgrade. I don't usually add intakes for much of a power gain, but I do love the sound of them on most cars. How is it on these cars? It made a big difference on the older Hondas as far as engine sound is concerned. We just built a great race track in our city and it is readily open to the public, so the sway bars would be done as well.

Thanks for the advice! I will take a look at some of the tune options and keep pressuring the seller to lower the price :)

Great! Thank you.
I was looking into the flashpro and a down pipe upgrade. I don't usually add intakes for much of a power gain, but I do love the sound of them on most cars. How is it on these cars? It made a big difference on the older Hondas as far as engine sound is concerned. We just built a great race track in our city and it is readily open to the public, so the sway bars would be done as well.

Thanks for the advice! I will take a look at some of the tune options and keep pressuring the seller to lower the price :)

I would start with a DP/exhaust (either Full-Race or Ultimate Racing), /FlashPro/tune (from VitViper) and a rear sway bar (Progress). As far as intakes, the PRL 3.5" SRI has one hell of a growl to it. All of this will put you around $2k. Beyond this, it really is just cosmetic upgrades unless you decide to go forced induction or wait for cams and other internals to start showing up.

Squiggy recommending an Ultimate Racing exhaust? I'm speechless!
But I do agree with everything above ^

Squiggy recommending an Ultimate Racing exhaust? I'm speechless!
But I do agree with everything above ^

I have never said one was better than the other! Realistically, UR is better for supercharging due to the type of core in the cat, right? Plus, if you want something a little quieter, you can do that with the myriad of options available from UR. I, personally, am not a fan of the two-piece DP design on UR, though. Power-wise they should be close to the same...but I think FR may produce a bit more.

I have never said one was better than the other! Realistically, UR is better for supercharging due to the type of core in the cat, right? Plus, if you want something a little quieter, you can do that with the myriad of options available from UR. I, personally, am not a fan of the two-piece DP design on UR, though. Power-wise they should be close to the same...but I think FR may produce a bit more.
Lol I was just kidding. They both have pros and cons, both great setups though.

I would start with a DP/exhaust (either Full-Race or Ultimate Racing), /FlashPro/tune (from VitViper) and a rear sway bar (Progress). As far as intakes, the PRL 3.5" SRI has one hell of a growl to it. All of this will put you around $2k. Beyond this, it really is just cosmetic upgrades unless you decide to go forced induction or wait for cams and other internals to start showing up.

I have already had my way with with an aftermarket forced induction setup on my 89 BMW e30. 300whp in a 2700lb car was awesome, but not very easy on the wallet haha (including getting your license taken out of it). I would probably just do what you recommended squiggly. Do you have any idea what kind of hp and torque you would be putting down after that?

Honestly, I am not sure since I also have an RBC and ZDX. All of that usually puts people in the 220-230whp range.

Back