Console Tray & GPS

billlaux

California
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Coupe
console_tray3.jpg console_tray1.jpgconsole_tray2.jpgconsole_tray2.jpg

Someone posted about installing a pad in the console tray. I use the tray for my Tom Tom GPS. Didn't want to spend the big $$ for factory GPS. The Tom Tom works great and I use it a lot. I had a round piece of plastic stock cut to the size of the round mounting disk that comes with the GPS. Then I spray painted the plastic stock with flat black primer and mounted the disk on top. I used permanent double stick foam tape to mount the round stock in the tray. I plugged the charging wire in and coiled the excess to fit behind the plastic stock in the tray. Then the GPS just suctions to the mounting disk on top. Now my GPS is always available for use if I need it and easily removed by breaking the suction on the mounting disk. To hide the GPS I bought a small plastic index card box at the dollar store and cut it to fit over the GPS. Spray painted the box cover with flat black primer and even if someone looks directly in the window it is almost impossible to see the unit.

That works, When I need my TT(have a TTrider for MC's)in the coupe I'll put it in the tray as well, haven't had any trouble with it being down there. Your's looks like a nice set-up.

You don't even have to go that far. For those of you interested in making this sort of thing work without painting/gluing anything just get one of these
10945457_14654035_trimmed.jpg

You can get one made by Rocketfish at BestBuy (also comes with a car charger and a protective case for your GPS and will run you about $15). That one in particular fits almost perfectly inside that same tray and works just fine. If there was one of these out there that was about 0.5" to .75" shorter in diameter it'd be even better.

Lazaro Ravelo I can tell you that would not survive my level of spirited driving I engage in periodically. A suction cup to a fixed surface has even failed on a few occasions.

Well when I first contemplated the idea of doing this I thought that very same thing. I got tired of my GPS falling off the windshield because the subpar mount included with the GPS couldn't do the job (then again I have one of the older Garmin nuvi's with the folding antenna). When I bought the bean bag I was originally intending to keep it on the dash but there's not enough friction between the dash and the bean bag to keep it still during a turn so I put it down in the center console tray and so far so good. I guess I'd recommended it to those that are not the most spirited drivers and only bought the civic for the fuel economy.

Back