Consumer Reports Gives the Honda Civic Si a “Recommended” Rating

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Consumer Reports Gives the Honda Civic Si a “Recommended” Rating

ConsumerReports.jpg

2012_HONDA_CIVIC_Si_101.jpg

Just when Honda announced it is developing a revised Civic for the 2013 model year that will be launched in the U.S. in late 2012, Consumer Reports, the publication that started the storm of negative publicity on Honda’s compact model, has awarded the Si version with a “Recommended” on its latest report.

CR still stands by its original verdict on the base 2012 Civic when it stated, “while other models like the Hyundai Elantra have gotten better after being redesigned, the Honda Civic has dropped so much that now it ranks near the bottom of its category.”

The difference is that the model tested this time is the sportier Si version fitted with the more powerful 2.4-liter engine. According to the test results, it earned a notably better score than the basic model and as a result, CR says it now recommends the Si.

Honda Rep: Hello CR tester person....here is our Honda Civic Si. Please test it out and report on it. If you happen to find a brown bag with cash just go ahead and keep it, you know.....finders keepers right?

:giggle: I kid....

On another note...Si owners can finally have real proof in the future when the "Si is better than EX" thread will pop up, lol.

Damn man...I know a bunch of you already said it but...took em long enough to review the damn car. Not quite sure why the Si stands out so much more/better than the base models though. It's roughly the same looking and the Si has always had better engines etc because it's sporty. The base models are supposed to be a little less "special" and always have been. Honestly I enjoyed test driving the EX sedan while we waited for the Si to become available I found it to be a great car.

• Staff
Consumer reports actually tested the LX, but still... it did take quite a while for them to test the Si. Maybe took this long to find one at a dealership? They do buy all the cars they test. Dealerships don't loan them or whatever to consumer reports. They have people who actually go out and buy the cars. Unless they ordered it, maybe it took this long to find one sitting at a dealership?

I'm guessing the reason for the delay was due to the Si being made available much later than the other styles.

Consumer reports actually tested the LX, but still... it did take quite a while for them to test the Si. Maybe took this long to find one at a dealership? They do buy all the cars they test. Dealerships don't loan them or whatever to consumer reports. They have people who actually go out and buy the cars. Unless they ordered it, maybe it took this long to find one sitting at a dealership?
I guess? The dealership where we got ours hasn't been able to keep them in stock. Every time they get an Si in, it's gone. I guess that could be it.

I've yet to see one at the closest two dealerships. Nada

seeing that what cr says about the si is what sets it apart from the normal civics doesnt make sense when compared to the elentra and other models. if thats the only thing that made it recommended then theres something wrong because theres nothing sporty or powerful about a elentra ect

Damn man...I know a bunch of you already said it but...took em long enough to review the damn car. Not quite sure why the Si stands out so much more/better than the base models though. It's roughly the same looking and the Si has always had better engines etc because it's sporty. The base models are supposed to be a little less "special" and always have been. Honestly I enjoyed test driving the EX sedan while we waited for the Si to become available I found it to be a great car.
Candice, it's because the Si still stands out in it's price range against competitors and besides the shell and the interior styling Si vs non Si are 2 complete different cars.

Different suspension
Different wheels
Different interior colors and seats +features
Different engine
Different trans
30+ % more power

Now the base sedan compared to it's competition doesn't offer more features, drivability, comfort, power, mpg, for MORE $$ then the others. It just doesn't compete.

Now granted I'd rather have an EX Civic then any ford or hyundai or chevy available that competes with the Civic.

Honda>Them STILL

I know it's 2 completely different cars but in a way it just seems like someone at CR was just on their period and decided to hate Honda when they did the review. They made the car seem much worse than it actually is (and I'm saying this about non-Si models)

Candice, it's because the Si still stands out in it's price range against competitors and besides the shell and the interior styling Si vs non Si are 2 complete different cars.

Different suspension
Different wheels
Different interior colors and seats +features
Different engine
Different trans
30+ % more power

Now the base sedan compared to it's competition doesn't offer more features, drivability, comfort, power, mpg, for MORE $$ then the others. It just doesn't compete.

Now granted I'd rather have an EX Civic then any ford or hyundai or chevy available that competes with the Civic.

Honda>Them STILL
honestly si and ms3 are basically the same price. and the ms3 walks all over the si in terms of performance. the only reason i got an si is because i love honda and honda makes driver oriented cars.

with zero options I'm seeing
$ 24,795 for the ms3

for the si coupe with no options I'm seeing
$22,975

$1,8XX - not a large difference, yet it's still about 8% difference in vehicle cost. Still a significant gap between the hp figures though. I'll give you that

^ms3 comes with leather seats and handles much much better than the factory spec si. Oh, and it has better brakes. So the price gap becomes not that bad considering.

its not just about speed.

I doubt it handles better.

Its about an all around car, Mazdas engines blow up stock routinely so they arent reliable.

mad tq steer
and I'm sure the ms3 is recommended by CR but that doesnt mean the Si shouldnt be recommended.

The Si offers a great ride not comparable by just looking at striaghtline acceleration.

Back