continental dws air pressure

I've seen your vid in another thread... it's nothing like my experience. It's laughable it's so different. If I had a camera in my car and did that course.. this is what the background would look like. It's almost as if the shop took my entire suspension off the car when they put the tires on.
hahaha
I ignored the door placard for tire pressure and put what I wanted in. For my car, I set it to 8 over the door placard, granted that was months ago and haven't checked it since. It might be close to the door placard for all I know now (due to cold). Makes me wonder if the stiff sway bars and general track setup on my car could be keeping the tires more planted than other cars so I don't experience the "rolling".

well, I have to go over 41psi if I need 8psi over stock to make things stable. At that pressure, you have to wonder what kind of wear pattern the tread will have over time. I can't be the only person who had a "bad" set if you read through similar threads on other forums. It seems like a number of people have similar issues

i believe the tire pressure info on the sticker is intended for tires of the same spec as the oem, so going from regular all seasons to high performance all seasons may require different running pressure to get the same results

you have dws not the dw right? Because the DW is dedicated for summer/spirited driving... still reported to have a soft sidewall though. Both tests by tirerack mention soft sidewall.

click "tests" tab a little ways down the page
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact DWS

click "tests" tab again
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact DW

Some people think these dws tires are the greatest thing, and others seem to think they are the worst. It's like they are producing 2 different tires.

Yep, I have the DWS. I bought them specifically for winter driving as my last pair of all seasons tires were so bad (Falcons) I refused to drive in the snow...not joking either! I ended up car pooling with my wife most of last winter.

I definitely wouldn't say the tires are the "greatest thing", but for a good all season tire that shines in the snow, I feel they are well worth the cost. I didn't want to spring for an extra set of rims and snow tires, which is why I chose the DWS, which have been great in the snow this year with much improved take-off and stopping. I did feel the "soft/rolling" of the tires at first, but quickly got used to it an I've never felt unsafe or out of control in anyway. That being said, they definitely do not handle as well as the stock Michelins, but I'm not tracking my car either.

I'm running 215/50-17 BTW....maybe the taller profile tires are more susceptible to it?

Yeah from the reviews it seems like great or terrible. Bad run of tires? Two different factories producing them?

I had Continental Extreme Contact DWS's on my 8th gen. Ethlar is absolutely correct in saying ramp up the pressure in them. At 32 psi it feels like your steering column is a suggestion box. Just felt like when i wanted to turn the car felt totally at a whack and unstable. Once i upped the pressure they were fantastic! One of my favorite tires I have owned, super quiet and responsive.

looking for different tires. Just drove on the highway with them this weekend and they were horrible at 40psi. Anything above 65mph in a crosswind, or passing other vehicles (or being passed by others) and the car is totally unstable. Maybe I got a really bad set, as there are way too many good reviews on them.

I'm glad I seen this thread. I was actually about to buy a set of these tires. From what everyone has been saying i'm not sure i want to get these now.

Back