Crows feet

FooBird

If the Foo...well, you know. Just wear it.
VIP Member
Toys For Tots
Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
Was waxing my car the other day and noticed a mess of crows feet cracks in the paint on the hood.

Thankfully '06Siguy pointed me to the 8thcivic topic on this issue and I can see there is quite a history. http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mech...al-chat/150263-cracks-paint-crows-feet-2.html

Anybody else noticing this kind of thing popping up on their 9th gen?
Yes. I waxed my '12 CBP Si sedan two weeks ago and crows feet showed up on the hood. Took it to dealer and they sent it out to have the hood and front fenders redone under warranty, so it's a known issue on the 9th gens too. Just got mine back and it's a double bonus because I had a few bad stone chips I fixed (badly) and then my wife (God bless her) thought she'd get some snow off my car this winter and used the brush end on the windshield while dragging the scraper end's edge across the hood . . . several times . . . leaving a few 2 foot-long scratches down to the metal. So all that mess is gone too!

Last edited:
^^^ and this is probably my last black car until the industry figures out how to lay down thicker, better paint and clear.

Aren't most manufacturers laying down water based paint now? Buddy of mine had Opticoat, essential a super thick clear coat, applied to his Candy White Golf R, and although you can see a few new chips, they no longer break the paint. Just sorta dimple it now.

Aren't most manufacturers laying down water based paint now? Buddy of mine had Opticoat, essential a super thick clear coat, applied to his Candy White Golf R, and although you can see a few new chips, they no longer break the paint. Just sorta dimple it now.
yes.

I've got you both beat. The lovely wife of mine once pee'd in my WRX. Granted it was probably my fault for messing with her while she was White Girl Wasted and making her laugh, she knew she was in the dog house for like an entire month.

Opti-Coat Pro is only about 1-3 microns thick, according to the manufacture. The average clear coat on most cars is about 50 microns thick. Opti-Coat does NOT stop the paint from chipping. For that you're going to need PPF (clear bra).

Rasky

If that's true, it's essentially a gimmick? You're basically paying for whatever paint correction is necessary.

If that's true, it's essentially a gimmick? You're basically paying for whatever paint correction is necessary.

Definitely not. It has many great attributes but Ive never seen Optimum or any reputable installer claim that it stops rock chips. ;)

Opti-Coat is great, but it's not some magical force-field. With regular care (proper washing) your car will look like new and be better protected for years against things like bug guts and bird bombs. It's been on my personal car for over 2 years now and she still looks mint. :)

Reactions: Nix
Back