Daytime Running lights

Jerod

Minot, North Dakota
Vehicle Model
'13 Civic Si
Alright, time for another question. This i wat I want and haven't been able to find it. When I turn the lights off i want the daytime running lights to turn off as well. But when i put the car back on to auto setting the drl are able to be on. any suggestions?

Not sure if this would work but I'm thinking you would have to cut the power wires going into the high beams, and splice them into the low beams.
In theory it would work, but I said I'm not sure because I don't know if that would cause other problems

Not sure if this would work but I'm thinking you would have to cut the power wires going into the high beams, and splice them into the low beams.
In theory it would work, but I said I'm not sure because I don't know if that would cause other problems
so the DRL's are connected to the high beams?

So you want the drls off during the day but to come on only with the low beams correct?

Pulling the fuse will make them turn off during the day. To have them come on with the low beams would require either running a switch or tapping the low beam wires depending on if you wanted independant control of them or not. You would probably have to wire a resistor also.

So you want the drls off during the day but to come on only with the low beams correct?

Pulling the fuse will make them turn off during the day. To have them come on with the low beams would require either running a switch or tapping the low beam wires depending on if you wanted independant control of them or not. You would probably have to wire a resistor also.

Just adding this, depending on your state, it may be illegal, and the way to pass an inspection would be to wire it so when tested you could switch it to work correctly at the inspection. So a separate switch to go from stock to the mod'ed lighting might be something you'd be interested in.
I had my fog lights on my Jeep independent, and our laws wouldn't allow it, the fogs had to turn off when the headlights were turned on high, but had to work from the regular HL switch(but I found out that if I covered my fogs they would pass, just the way the law was written).
So check with your state......... I didn't even know they had cars in N.D. ......... :D

Reactions: Nix

Just adding this, depending on your state, it may be illegal, and the way to pass an inspection would be to wire it so when tested you could switch it to work correctly at the inspection. So a separate switch to go from stock to the mod'ed lighting might be something you'd be interested in.
I had my fog lights on my Jeep independent, and our laws wouldn't allow it, the fogs had to turn off when the headlights were turned on high, but had to work from the regular HL switch(but I found out that if I covered my fogs they would pass, just the way the law was written).
So check with your state......... I didn't even know they had cars in N.D. ......... :D
So what I want is when i have my lights in the OFF position I don't want the DRL's to be on. But when I move the switch to the AUTO position I want them to come on based off what the car thinks is appropriate for the daylight level. Does that make sense?

I guess if I put a switch in to cut the circuit when i want to would work as well?

Last edited:
Alright, time for another question. This i wat I want and haven't been able to find it. When I turn the lights off i want the daytime running lights to turn off as well. But when i put the car back on to auto setting the drl are able to be on. any suggestions?
don't over complicate anything....

very simply wire an inline NO/NC position holing push button. Turn them on when you want them, turn them off when you dont

when on: act exactly like it would OEM
when off: will work on lows, but DRL and HB will stay off until you turn the switch on.

simple as that. can make a wiring diagram if need be.

don't over complicate anything....

very simply wire an inline NO/NC position holing push button. Turn them on when you want them, turn them off when you dont

when on: act exactly like it would OEM
when off: will work on lows, but DRL and HB will stay off until you turn the switch on.

simple as that. can make a wiring diagram if need be.
That would be great! Thank you.

is it possible to keep the DRL ON at night too?
The dtr lights are the high beams running on half power, they aren't a separate light.
So you'd have to be able to run your low beams & high beams at the same time with the highs staying at half power....... Good luck.... I guess anything can be done, but I doubt it will be easy.

So what I want is when i have my lights in the OFF position I don't want the DRL's to be on. But when I move the switch to the AUTO position I want them to come on based off what the car thinks is appropriate for the daylight level. Does that make sense?

It sounds like you have no concept of understanding the purpose of daytime running lights. DRLs are a safety feature. DRLs are on all the time, until you turn on your headlights. Then they are not needed because your headlights are on. They are designed to be on during the day so other cars and pedestrians can see your vehicle approaching (you are more visible with DRLs), especially on two-way highways when vehicles pass over the center line. DRLs do not use the sunlight sensor to determine when they should be on. When the sun goes down and your headlights automatically turn on with the auto setting, the DRLs are no longer needed and turn off. Appropriate daylight level would be on during all daylight hours, and off when your headlights turn on. If you want to defeat the safety feature, pull the DRL fuse and live with the warning light on the dash. I have no respect for people defeating safety features on their cars, placing others at risk for their behavior. Obviously you have never driven on a two-way highway while passing other cars.

Back