Did your Si QUIT burning oil?

Anonymous

Denver, CO
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
My Si used a little over 2 quarts in the first 7000 miles. I'm in the middle of an oil consumption test with 9300 miles (and 80% oil life) and, if it's used any oil since I took it in, it's barely enough for me to notice on the dipstick.

There was some talk in the "Does your Si burn oil?" and "Engine break in" threads about the engines burning oil during an initial break-in and then stopping once the engine's fully broken in. It's hard for me to believe, but that seems to be what's happening with mine at this point.

I started revving the engine up higher, too, since seeing the other discussions so that may or may not have something to do with it--I do a lot more shifting between 5000 - 6000 rpm after the engine's warmed up vs. 4000 - 5000 rpm before.

Anyway, there's still a lot of unhappiness over on the "Does your Si burn oil?" thread but it seems like my situation's getting better. Is anyone else having a similar experience with their Si?

====

updated 10-25-2012
Honda has released a TSB for oil consumption
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/i...oblems-2012-civics-all-trims.560/#post-108681

Similar although I only went through app. half a quart on factory fill, which I changed at 5447 miles and 20% MM, about 9 months of ownership at that point...Now it's been almost 3 months and about 1300+ miles and it hasn't really went down at all, hope it stays that way too, very pleased at this point considering what others have shared.
Very very pleased! Also kind of like you I'm revving it a little more often too, after it's warm on an on ramp for example redline 1-4th if I can legally, usually have to clutch in 4th about 5500 rpm as I'm speeding by that point but, NOT worth a ticket but Si is anFUN car to drive, I love mine!!!!!!!

I may have spoken too soon. I'm at 10,300 miles now and look to be about 1/2 qt low. Back to being not real happy...

I may have spoken too soon. I'm at 10,300 miles now and look to be about 1/2 qt low. Back to being not real happy...
how many miles since it was full? Like, is that 1000 miles since it was last full, or 500 miles... 3000 miles?

Im at roughly 2500 miles and have gotten on my car since i got it with 10 miles on it and havent lost a drop and hope it doesnt haha! but thats good they seem to be stopping once everything is fully broken in.

how many miles since it was full? Like, is that 1000 miles since it was last full, or 500 miles... 3000 miles?

I was just looking at my oil consumption test form today. The oil was changed at 7007 miles on July 11, so it's looking like 1/2 qt over the course of 3300 miles and just under 3 months. The form seems to be saying that 1 qt per 1000-3000 miles is going to result in a "No problem found" sort of diagnosis. ("Call Tech Line...to determine if additional diagnostics are available." The guidance for using at least 1 qt per 1000 miles is "Follow the normal troubleshooting procedures.")

ah you're doing fine then. 1/2 qt in 3300 miles is well under what others have experienced.

Just going by what I've been excepting since about 1960.... If the car can go from one oil change to the other without having to add oil than it was ok. The low never going below halfway mark of the top and bottom line on the dipstick(I said DS). Anything higher is great, so up till about five years ago It was changed every 3000 w/filter. Or every other oil change before we knew to change the filter everytime. It's only been in the last 5 years that I went from 3000 to 5000m(oil w/filter) because the new cars and MC's manufacturers say to go that long or longer. My Honda MC (VFR 800cc) uses the same oil to lube the engine and gears and it also is mixing with the clutchplates(wet clutches).... To me that's the worst you can do is add clutch junk to the oil supply.... so anyway they're recommending 8000m to an oil change(I'll Go 5000m and the colour isn't bad)......

So I look at the colour of the oil I get "OFF" the dipstick and drip on my finger to look at(makes everything equal each change)

Just saying ... take it or leave it:driving:

ah you're doing fine then. 1/2 qt in 3300 miles is well under what others have experienced.

True but I'd still be pissed, it's a new car for crying out loud, I mean it your vtecing the **** out of it every shift every day then I can understand but if you don't drive the hell out of it, IT SHOULD NOT BURN OIL!!!!

True but I'd still be pissed, it's a new car for crying out loud, I mean it your vtecing the **** out of it every shift every day then I can understand but if you don't drive the hell out of it, IT SHOULD NOT BURN OIL!!!!
I agree everything I've seen since the mid 70's if nothings wrong with them a 8th of a quart is average for a high......... but getting a free rebuild for less than a half burnt is gon'a be hard.......

Yeah--what he said. I know it sounds like I'm whining or that I've got unrealistic expectations but, honestly, this is the first new car (or motorcycle, etc.) I've owned that's used ANY oil. Did I spoil myself by buying Fords and Saturns? I've still got a 20-year old Saturn I bought new that didn't burn a drop of oil until 200K. And those hardly have the reputation for longevity and quality that Honda does.

I love my Honda motorcycle and thought I couldn't go wrong with a Honda car, but I've got a major love/hate thing going with my Si right now.

Mine was burning oil but on my last visit to the dealership to check it, the oil on the dipstick hadn't moved.
My mechanic said that it's most likely because the engine is now broken in so it will likely stop burning oil.
Time will tell......

Back