Do we have a 'R'?

stormtrooper

So I was searching around the forum and couldn't find any posts about this topic. Looking around for an aftermarket shift knob because the stock one gets really hot here in AZ. Like temperature hot where I can't touch it without burning myself. According to the internet there are shift knobs and shift knob 'r'. Supposedly this is a 'life and shift' into reverse shift knob. Don't know what that means. Is that like how some cars make you go to the left when going into reverse instead of going to the right to go in reverse? Do we have a 'life and shift' even though our shift for reverse goes to the right? This is my first manual car so I definitely don't know what the difference is.

I don't know what "Life and Shift" is. But if you're planning on getting an aftermarket shift knob, make sure that the thread size is M10 x 1.5.

You can get ones with a patterned six speed with the R on the bottom right. Example:
1377649866231-659247447.jpeg

Or you can get them blank. Example:
1333432830675-1416682655.jpeg

It also depends what size, weight, material or shape you want them to be.

many companies sell a "type r" knob like this -

MJznYXL.jpg

Z8bpNY3.jpg

"life and shift" - I've never heard of. I don't know what that is referring to. Link to the article or where you saw it?

The knob shouldn't have anything to do with the shift pattern or reverse procedure...
:word:

A shift knob for our cars is just a handle used for shifting gears. They don't have any special features to them.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about. I'm not purchasing this shift knob. Just using it as an example. http://sparcousa.com/product/settanta-r says compatible with reverse lock out.

I think you're talking about manual transmission cars that require the shift knob to move vertically to shift into a reverse gear. In my brother's RX-8, for example, you'd need to press down on the shift knob in order to move the shifter to reverse. Our cars don't have that.

I think you're talking about manual transmission cars that require the shift knob to move vertically to shift into a reverse gear. In my brother's RX-8, for example, you'd need to press down on the shift knob in order to move the shifter to reverse. Our cars don't have that.

Thank you! That is what I was getting confused with. That makes a lot of sense now. Thought you only had to push buttons to go in reverse if you have an automatic. Glad we have a regular shift knob without that.

Thank you! That is what I was getting confused with. That makes a lot of sense now. Thought you only had to push buttons to go in reverse if you have an automatic. Glad we have a regular shift knob without that.
It's really more of the shift box than the knob itself. Most shift knobs have the same features/purposes.

Back