Do's and Don'ts of Caravanning

siracergrl

NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Type R
Body Style
4-Door Hatch
With the beautiful weather coming, large meets will start to pop up in your area. Most of you will be caravanning together (driving as a big group). This is always a great way to make an entrance at a meet and on the way to it. Unfortunately so few people know caravan etiquette. Here are some do's and don'ts when caravanning

Do:
  • Fuel up before going
  • When meeting to caravan to the actual event, meet at a location everyone is familiar with or can easily get to.
  • Get there on time! People DON'T like waiting for you.
  • Within the large group break your group up into smaller groups: Those with EZ Pass vs. Those without, Those with GPS vs. Those without. Etc.
  • Have 2 "leaders" for your group 1 in the front and 1 in the back. Preferably one for a group without EZ Pass and one for those with EZ Pass. Each leader should know where they are going indefinitely or should have a GPS.
  • When possible, go through toll plazas that accept cash and EZ Pass in the same lane so no one gets left behind. If not possible, pull off at the closest shoulder with your blinkers on and wait.
  • Keep right except to pass (Sorry, traffic laws still apply to you)
  • Walkie talkies are great to have. Make sure you are all on the same frequency. It's an easy way to communicate to everyone in the group. At the very least, the leaders should have them or you should have everyone's phone numbers.
  • Taking pictures and video is fine. Jump out of line and take them and then get back with the group. Just don't hang yourself 3/4 the way out of the car. It's better to have a passenger who can help with the pictures and video if possible. Make your girlfriend's work for their seat in the car!
  • The person in the very back of the group is responsible for changing lanes so that the rest of the group may follow without being cut off by other drivers.
  • If you cannot pull over when a person falls behind, put on your blinkers and get in the far right lane so it is easier to find you and to warn others you will be traveling slower than most traffic.
  • Set a good example and have fun!
Don't:
  • No excessive speeding. The point of a caravan is to show off your cars and your large group to others on the road. You don't want to make yourself look like an immature ricer. Not to mention, run-ins with the police and accidents are never cheap or fun.
  • No racing. It's dangerous and selfish to race on an open road. You are risking the lives of not only yourself and the other racer, but anyone else around you as well. Be smart! I know you can do it.
  • Try not to go through amber/yellow lights. It causes people to be left behind
  • No cutting people off/swerving through lanes
  • Don't tailgate ANYONE be it in the group or other's driving. You don't want to show up at the meet with a jacked up car. I'm sure the person you rear-end won't be too happy either

Thank you! You have no idea how pissed I get when people think it's a damn race and act like fools. I've left mid caravan several times because of that. Luckily I found a group that are great to drive with. I'll be caravanning with them on Sunday matter of fact.

BTW, if anyone can think of anything else, please post! I'm sure I can sweet talk a mod into editing the post if need be lol.

I personally hate when there is always one who is in the middle of the pack that wants to be a ricer. They want to speed up, and drive fast, so they wait until the person in front of them gets liek 1/2 mile ahead, then they down shift and gun it. :rage:

Most of the time they are the ones with the ridiculous exhaust as well.

Last year with 8th I got the pleasure of smelling catless VTEC for the WHOLE hr caravan to get pizza.

That's nasty! I would have gotten out of line and gotten in front of the guy. No reason we all need to choke on their fumes.

Made me FURIOUS! The bad part is he got on it right as we were starting the Dragon, didn't have too much room to pull off, however, I did have to close my sunroof and windows so that my lungs wouldnt get more toxins than they were used to.

That's ok I forgive you. But only this once lol

Back