Drum Brakes issue

fg3_colton

Tampa
Vehicle Model
Civic, LX
Body Style
Coupe
The other day, I starting hearing a slight rubbing, almost grinding noise, coming from the passenger side rear wheel. I only heard this noise while I was braking and only from that one side. I was able to get it off the ground and noticed that the wheel in question no longer spins freely, it gets caught at one spot (Keep in mind, I had the parking brake fully disengaged). My first thought was a bad bearing, so I ran the basic tests, shook the hell out of the wheel in all directions but it was solid, no play at all. So I need yalls help, what could be causing this issue? I know little to nothing about the mechanics of a drum brake system, so my next best guess is this; The handbrake is only connected to that side, since I use it a lot, ive worn out the shoes and they need replacing. Hopefully you all can help me figure this out! When I get to my car tomorrow, ill record a video of the sound, and the wheel spinning.

Car in question: 2014, Civic LX Coupe. It is NOT equipped with rear disc brakes.

Not much experience with drums. But I had an issue with my left rear dragging a bit on my old civic and ended up being a worn out/rusted out spring in the assembly. Replaced the springs and butter.

Drums suck to work on man. Hope u figure this out.

Time for a rear to disc brake conversion.
I'd say
the pad of drum brake is worn out, can't be disengaged, or parking brake cant be disengaged

Grinding sound can be normal, the brake shoe is semi metallic so that can be the sound.

Drums are different than caliper and rotor, drums are suppose to have a bit of drag with the shoe and drum, I was taught when you spin with the tire on it should do 1 full turn and not less. Getting caught in one spot means the brake drum has a high spot and needs to be turned or new drum. adjust drums when the brakes are cold, when the brakes are hot the drums expand and if adjusted hot the drums will shrink and can possibly lock on to the brake shoes. If you are worried about the brake drag, it will be less when the brakes are warmed up, the brake shoes will be further away from the drum due to thermal expansion

Drum shoe also does not have a squeal tab so the grinding can also be the shoe material is gone and it is to the lining. Only way to tell is to take it apart and inspect the lining.

Drums are not bad for a daily driver if adjusted correctly. I adjusted wifeys car and put the duralast gt on the front and it stops quickly. Drums can work better then disc because there is more friction material to contact the drums, down side is when drums get hot they do not work as well as disc

Last edited:
Thank you All for the replies! I took off the drum today and noticed that the wheel cylinder was still acting on the parking brake lever as if it were still up. Cleaned everything off with brake cleaner, lubed up the wheel cylinder and it spins perfect now.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Back