Excessive Oil Consumption ('12 Si) Questions

trdb

Hi all,

I just made an appointment with my local dealership to have my pistons replaced (on this coming Tuesday) due to the recent service bulletin regarding the excessive oil consumption on certain VIN '12 Si. I have a couple questions regarding this:

For anyone who has had the work done, has it corrected the problem to your satisfaction? Does it completely alleviate the problem or just lower the consumption. I'm a little bit put off by this as I feel any new vehicle should not be consuming oil... but my mechanical knowledge is admittedly limited.

Additional question - I was advised that the work would take 1.5-2 days to complete so I inquired about a loaner vehicle to use in the meantime. I was told I could have a "rental" vehicle supplied and paid for by Honda due to having purchased the extended warranty. For anyone in Canada who has a knowledge of the dealership service department practices does this sound normal to you? I feel like its kind of odd that they will give me a rental which could be any model and make car, not necessarily a Honda. I was told that normally they offer you a used vehicle from their lot by some friends who have had work done at other Honda dealers.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There are like 3 or 4 users who've had the work done, and I believe they all stated their consumption was way down...or barely any after 1k+ miles. As for the loaner car, I've heard some dealers go through a rental company, and I've also heard others will give out a random loaner car from their used lot of cars. I'm guessing it just varies by dealership.

There are like 3 or 4 users who've had the work done, and I believe they all stated their consumption was way down...or barely any after 1k+ miles. As for the loaner car, I've heard some dealers go through a rental company, and I've also heard others will give out a random loaner car from their used lot of cars. I'm guessing it just varies by dealership.

Thanks for the reply, if you've heard it done both ways it makes me feel a lot better.

Well, I imagine some don't really like giving out used vehicles as it's another car that they can't be selling if a customer has it.

Back