Exhaust backfire

Looks like a crappy tune dumping lots of extra fuel that isn't being burned properly. An overly lean air-fuel mixture (i.e. an overabundance of air) can lead to a failure to ignite in the combustion chamber, also called a "misfire". The unburnt fuel then enters the exhaust system, where hot components can cause the fuel to ignite unpredictably. Alternatively, rich air-fuel mixtures (i.e. an overabundance of fuel) can result in incomplete combustion, again causing unburnt fuel to enter the exhaust system.

Also I bet him revving and letting off like a retard isn't helping. The car is probably trying to compensate for the WOT with no load and then him letting off immediately causes the extra fuel dump to be ejected by the exhaust. Im sure it's awesome for the car since something going "wrong" in the first place is what causes it.

you can also buy a kit if you want to throw flames. They wire a spark plug into your exhaust .... you also pretty much need to run with no cat so enough "gasses" get back there to ignite.

http://www.hotlicksexhaust.com/store/detail/44

Well ive also read about it a little bit. People do it on purpose. I actually thought it was kind of cool. There are different ways to do it. One is a rev limiter like the Bee*r that works by cutting spark and not fuel so that the fuel ignites in the exhaust. But this isn't compatible with our cars. I've read that it can be programmed in with tuning. Also seen the phrase fuel overrun thrown around. And read that it may eventually break your exhaust but shouldnt harm your motor. But thats about all I know. I was just wondering if anyone knew about this kind of thing and could clarify it for me and wondering what would be involved to make it happen on demand aside from a 3 inch exhaust and no cat.

Reactions: Nix
Lol no I guess I'm not much help there. Interesting concept but personally not for me. Maybe I shouldn't have been so harsh but it seems that you usually see it on poorly tuned cars or really really high end race cars. Other than that flamethrower kits have been around the muscle scene for a while.

Its becoming a trend I think. Idc about the flame but the popping sounds cool to me. Would just like it to be on demand. Heard some cars doing it at a car show and I liked it. Maybe @VitViper can explain some of it?

Kind of sounds like it. But its also being done on naturally apirated cars.

run super rich... unburnt fuel in the exhaust and boom. I saw a guy doing this exact thing with his civic del sol. He was doing it for a few friends at a shopping plaza in the middle of the day. The police showed up lol

According to Initial D, it's a turbo anti lang system :P

Backfire happens at lower RPM's so that air is still going through to the turbo to continue it's spinning.
The "explosion" that happens after the engine pushes air flow to make it happen.

Yeah it can be used as a turbo anti lag by having fuel explode in the downpipe to keep the turbo spooled. But people are also making naturally aspirated cars do it for fun/show.

So the questions that remain... how to do it on our car, will it cause any damage to the motor, can it be an on demand type thing?

tune flashpro ridiculously rich? Is it worth burning tons of extra fuel all the time to do this? @VitViper

At least it's not one of those flame thrower deals where it injects fuel into the exhaust. Think of the first fast and furious... Oh NVM... Nix linked it. Bush fires here we go! J/K oh and on the topic of anti lag, wrc mandated a while back that no flames can shoot out of the tail pipe. All you will hear now is a bunch of pops and maybe see the flames inside the pipe.

Reactions: Nix
Im sure all the replies here are accurate, but my 2014 Si has backfired since day 1... The dealer says its normal, i dont personally know anyone who drives a k24 Si so idk if its normal

Back