Factory maintenance schedule?

ken4444

Is there a FAQ or information that details the factory maintenance schedule? Specifically, I'm curious about the factory recommended intervals for engine oil change, automatic transmission fluid change, coolant change, and items like grease fittings that might need service at certain intervals.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/R01212/R01212OM.pdf
The manual lists all of the factory schedules. ^ online link if you don't have yours handy

Thanks for posting that. The best I can find is that if the "Maintenance Minder" displays code "3", then the ATF should be replaced. However it gives no information about the number of miles or years expected before this should be done. Maybe I missed this information in the manual. It does state that the auto trans requires 2.5 quarts of "Honda ATF DW-1", so that's good to know.

I just don't like relying solely on a computer to tell me when service is needed. It would be good to know what Honda's official position is on the ATF replacement internal.

I can keep track of the oil changes if needed, and the manual does permit the use of synthetic oil as long as, "...it is labeled with the API Certification Seal
and is the specified viscosity grade"

• Independent of the Maintenance Minder information, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.
• Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles
• Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy

Everything else is basically done from the maintenance minder. It calculates everything based on driving conditions. In my driving experience, I'd usually end up running around 7000-7500 miles or so between oil changes following the 15% oil meter suggested drain interval. It calculates cold starts, rpms, idling etc to determine oil useage.

So if you have a bunch of long highway miles it'll be different than driving stop and go in the city. Everyone is going to do whatever they feel comfortable with, but I see no issue in following the engineers suggestions. If their suggested drain intervals were negative, it'd hurt them with repairs and even resale value on the used market if they get a bad reputation.

• Independent of the Maintenance Minder information, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.
• Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles
• Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy

Everything else is basically done from the maintenance minder. It calculates everything based on driving conditions. In my driving experience, I'd usually end up running around 7000-7500 miles or so between oil changes following the 15% oil meter suggested drain interval. It calculates cold starts, rpms, idling etc to determine oil useage.

So if you have a bunch of long highway miles it'll be different than driving stop and go in the city. Everyone is going to do whatever they feel comfortable with, but I see no issue in following the engineers suggestions. If their suggested drain intervals were negative, it'd hurt them with repairs and even resale value on the used market if they get a bad reputation.

But the maintenance minder takes into account your driving habits, style, and the weather - trust it.

I can keep track of the oil changes if needed, and the manual does permit the use of synthetic oil as long as, "...it is labeled with the API Certification Seal
and is the specified viscosity grade"

Yep. It's actually harder to find a Synthetic Blend 0W-20 than a full synthetic 0W-20 (at least in the Walmart near me). I wouldn't worry about brand either, Mobil 1 vs Pennzoil Platinum vs Honda Genuine Vs Toyota.. As long as it meets the API certification it should be fine.

Back