Faint metal spinning noise just as going into 6th gear..

Only Human

'14 Civic Si Sedan..

I fell into a 6-8 inch pothole in a parking lot last week that I'm pretty mad and upset about. Luckily, there seems to be no damage, but of course I'm listening to everything very closely.

While doing so, I discovered that at highway speeds, right as I push the gear into 6th, I hear a metal spinning-whining noise that it faint. It pretty much sounds like the shifting fork rubbing against spinning gears.

This could and probably be normal, but I only hear it as I am going into 6th, for a split second.

Has anybody noticed this? Or can anybody try it out to notice it?

- on the highway, stay in 4th, depress the clutch, let the RPM go down below 1k so everything is quiet. Windows up. Then push slowly into 6th.

Have you tried not skipping 5th gear? See if you hear the same noise when going from 5th to 6th.....

It's definitely less from 5th to 6th and non-existent if I do double-clutching. This all means that what I'm hearing is the syncro. It is also only audible around 65-68 MPH. There is no difficulty in engaging the gear or anything feeling different from before. I'll just let it be for not and see if anything changes.

Have you tried not skipping 5th gear? See if you hear the same noise when going from 5th to 6th.....

Back