FB2Chris' PMM FB2 MT

I would think a dark bronze in a satin finish would look sweet.... if the paint you use is too glossy, you can always use a satin clear over top to give you a nice muted look.

i dontt think they understood you...or they charge per job...it was 250 for 4 windows and the rear...so if you only doing 2 windows and the rear id estimate this at about 120-150...i know its like 80 for the back window and then like 30 bucks per door window

i have a question i have a 2012civic si and my spoiler light broke do you know where you bought that because i looked everywhere and cant find a replacement
when you can let me no thanks

I've made a decision on my HFP wheels and sticking with it... I'm getting them powder coated the original color. If I ever want them black I'll dip them :D

Keep in mind that powder coating cast aluminum can be problematic for your coater, as compared to a forged aluminum part, or steel parts. I had a cast aluminum alternator bracket coated for my pickup, and I did all the prep work on it, solvent wash, ground down seams and sanded, overall blasted with glass grit to give a perfect substrate.

It ended up with 'pimples' in a few spots, they look like dust in a painted finish. Obviously the shop didn't care, or didn't know what caused, or how to fix the problem, or a little of all 3. :banghead:

Less than 5 minutes of searching on the internet I found out what the problem is, and how to alleviate it. Depending on the purity of the casting, there may be impurities in it, particularly zinc, which boils off at a low temperature.

The part must be washed thoroughly and run through a high temp ~ 500 degree bake cycle before being coated. This will allow the zinc to boil off out of the casting, and once the part is cooled down, wash it again before coating and baking. This will help out considerably. You may have to partially bake the coating, sand and re-coat and bake again if there is any pitting in the surface.

DSCN1502.JPG
<BR> Prior to delivery to the powdercoater. This was a spare bracket off another truck.DSCN1503.JPG<BR> Newly coated bracket with new tensioner and idler pulley beside the one I took off the truck. DSCN1506.JPG

If you zoom in close on the pictures you might be able to see the 'pimples' under the finish. The finish applied will fail in a few years. :mad: Just giving you a heads up on carefully choosing the shop, ask to see their work before getting the wheels done, and make sure they are aware of the problems that cast aluminum can give.

Keep in mind that powder coating cast aluminum can be problematic for your coater, as compared to a forged aluminum part, or steel parts. I had a cast aluminum alternator bracket coated for my pickup, and I did all the prep work on it, solvent wash, ground down seams and sanded, overall blasted with glass grit to give a perfect substrate.

It ended up with 'pimples' in a few spots, they look like dust in a painted finish. Obviously the shop didn't care, or didn't know what caused, or how to fix the problem, or a little of all 3. :banghead:

Less than 5 minutes of searching on the internet I found out what the problem is, and how to alleviate it. Depending on the purity of the casting, there may be impurities in it, particularly zinc, which boils off at a low temperature.

The part must be washed thoroughly and run through a high temp ~ 500 degree bake cycle before being coated. This will allow the zinc to boil off out of the casting, and once the part is cooled down, wash it again before coating and baking. This will help out considerably. You may have to partially bake the coating, sand and re-coat and bake again if there is any pitting in the surface.

View attachment 12894
<BR> Prior to delivery to the powdercoater. This was a spare bracket off another truck.View attachment 12895<BR> Newly coated bracket with new tensioner and idler pulley beside the one I took off the truck. View attachment 12896

If you zoom in close on the pictures you might be able to see the 'pimples' under the finish. The finish applied will fail in a few years. :mad: Just giving you a heads up on carefully choosing the shop, ask to see their work before getting the wheels done, and make sure they are aware of the problems that cast aluminum can give.

Thanks for the heads up! I found a few shops I'm going to look into this week before making a decision on a shop.

My Si spoiler came in today :woowoo:
c10c7b80-aed7-4739-92d9-0f428402bd11_zps245c4de1.jpg

20130305_183348_zps92d52394.jpg

I'm getting rid of the Si spoiler lol... I'd rather stay "wingless."

Back