Super Moderator
Super Mod
Toys For Tots
Charlotte-ish, NC
Vehicle Model
Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Body Style
@bootyluvr hates hatches
I was excited that the item I purchased was to come in today but was quickly disappointed when I saw it sitting outside my door. Once I saw the part sticking out of the box, I knew it was going to get worse.

CIMG3965_zpsa21a302b.jpg

Got a big enough box??? Where is the packaging to hold the item in place?
CIMG3972_zps41bf1b80.jpg

CIMG3976_zps90eabb8c.jpg

Got a few more pics of more damage but you get the picture....

Just got off the phone with the cust. service person at the site i bought the item from and they opened a damage claim and did all their stuff. So now I have to wait till mid/late last week to have a new item sent to me but they did refund me the 2 day shipping I paid for and no charge to ship the new one out.

They had already discounted the item to begin with so in the end I am getting a really good price.

Last edited:
Wow. That sucks man. :(

I'm guessing that's a tow hitch attachment?

And it does seem like it's poorly packaged. At least stuff the big box with packing paper so that the item doesn't move around and get damaged like that...

• Staff
Wow. That sucks man. :(

I'm guessing that's a tow hitch attachment?

Yeah, it's a Draw Tite hitch. Horrible packaging job. The box has another company name on it, lol.

That's a shipper fail........ there's no way that's going though a conveyor belt sort or any handling in a oversized box, and not end up like that.......... If shipping anything that you want to get to where it's going undamaged ......... pack it properly........
How about painting it ?

Sorry the shipper screwed up............

• Staff
That's a shipper fail........ there's no way that's going though a conveyor belt sort or any handling in a oversized box, and not end up like that.......... If shipping anything that you want to get to where it's going undamaged ......... pack it properly........
How about painting it ?

Sorry the shipper screwed up............

Yeah, the lady i talked to said it should have never been delivered like that. There is a reason why I only ship with UPS and pack stuff myself.

The finish is powdercoated and I don't want to deal with sanding and painting it.

I ordered my hitch (Curt) from e-tailer for my 2009 CRV some time ago and it wasn't as bad. Although some scratches due to UPS. Since it was minor I just used clear nail polish to cover up the exposed metal so it wouldn't rust. I am debating if I want a hitch for my 2012 Civic Hybrid. It probably would be a class II for a bike rack. I am not too crazy with roof mounted bike racks as rocks and dirt can fall from the bike onto the car. Probably minor but I'm picky...lol

Last edited:
Yeah, I had a roof rack on my last two cars. Loved the BMW roof rack as it bolts to the car but wasn't too crazy about the 06 Civics mounting system. I bought a Class I hitch for the Accord so i wouldn't mess up the paint and real easy to remove the rack off the hitch.

I like how they put cardboard on the long skinny parts that probably won't hit anything, but then on the ends and elbows there's nothing when those are the parts that's gonna hit everything

Exactly. Not even plastic/bubble wrapping on each end.

Being in the freight business, you wouldn't believe the way companies ship things, then get mad at us when its damaged. Heinz shipped a $1,000,000 computer server with us, then when it got to them, complained that it was damaged. It was supposed to go on air ride trailers only... we have NO air ride trailers. They picked us based on price and never thought about asking about air ride. Then wanted my service center manager to cut them a check on the spot. Another company, Sylvania, (they make floresent tube lights) will put 4ft light tubes in a box, with a sheet of thin paperboard (thinner then cardboard) and nothing else. They literally lay on the floor and bounce around. Wonder why they break. 1 box out of 3 will be refused. I have had to put metal bands on steel plates. There were 4 plates to a pallet. Each pallet weighed 2,200lbs. They had 2 plastic strap bands on it and didnt even make it to the dock from where it was picked up.

Now, its not always their fault. I had to unload a trailer that we got in from our Montana facility. It had 12 pallets of Delta Faucets. To save space, some complete total idiot off a tool decided that it would make more room if they unwrapped 3 of the pallets and LITERALLY THROW the boxes to the front and fill in the empty space. He should of stuck 1 of the boxes between his ears and done us all a favor. Most of them were damaged because of this. I had to deliver a John Deere Tractor windshield. The bax was shipped flat from JD. Very poorly packaged. 5 pieces of expanding foam used. 2 on each end and 1 in the middle. Maybe it would have made it, maybe not, but the foot print right above where it said GLASS, FRAGILE, DO NOT STACK was probably a bad thing. Customer didn't like it either. ANd the best part, The company I work for, has 1 of the lowest damage claims in the industry.

To add ....... The courier leaves the damaged package, recipient see's the damage(doesn't open) calls for pickup to return to shipper.......... No harm no foul.... Not the fault of del. company.

Last edited:
By del package, the customer can make the choice to keep or not. There are a lot of ways to pack stuff so they don't get damaged..... that's the shipper not the del company. 20 years of this........ it's pack it right , or don't ship it.

Poor packing jobs and/or poor package handling sucks. When my Honda Access door sills arrived a few days ago they were slightly bent, luckily I was able to fix them. But as soon as I saw the somewhat warped package on the porch I knew the contents inside would look just as warped :bleh:

I had a bad experience with UPS years ago when I shipped ONE glass frying pan in a box full of packing peanuts. When it arrived at the destination it was in pieces! I mean dude there was nothing in the box but that heavy glass frying pan packed with styrofoam up the wazoo. Apparently the box probably got dropped several feet from the truck. Who knows. Had to file a claim to get them pay for the damages.

Last edited:
Back