feeling sluggish / low mpg

nat3d

Wait, I don't drive a civic anymore....
Adams MA
Vehicle Model
Ford Focus ST
Body Style
Hatch
over the last few days it seems to have gotten kinda bad. it feels almost as if my car is dragging a weight, its harder to get up to speed and slows down quickly when coasting. also my mpg i thought was low because of blaring the heat and what not but im starting to doubt it. normally i run at 32 33mpg right now im down to 28.... and its been slowly going down to that starting about a week ago. anyone have any idea? my oil life is at 50% (my usual chaining point appointment on friday) but theres nothing else i can think of. my ebrake is off by the way.

over the last few days it seems to have gotten kinda bad. it feels almost as if my car is dragging a weight, its harder to get up to speed and slows down quickly when coasting. also my mpg i thought was low because of blaring the heat and what not but im starting to doubt it. normally i run at 32 33mpg right now im down to 28.... and its been slowly going down to that starting about a week ago. anyone have any idea? my oil life is at 50% (my usual chaining point appointment on friday) but theres nothing else i can think of. my ebrake is off by the way.

I usually get around 32 mpg also, and it dropped to 28 after I put in bad gas like @webby suggested. After your tank is empty I would try and put in 91 or 93 gas and then reset the mpg display to check if that made a difference.
Also I had been letting my car idle quite a bit to warm up and still doing some driving while the engine was cold in these subzero Antartic blizzard temperatures so that might have something to do with yours as well

i think the drop started more than a week ago after i was thinking of it and ill be gassing up today so wel see. also i get gas from the same shell every time and ive never had a problem but i do understand they could have gotten a bad batch.

I usually get around 32 mpg also, and it dropped to 28 after I put in bad gas like @webby suggested. After your tank is empty I would try and put in 91 or 93 gas and then reset the mpg display to check if that made a difference.
Also I had been letting my car idle quite a bit to warm up and still doing some driving while the engine was cold in these subzero Antartic blizzard temperatures so that might have something to do with yours as well
il give that a shot

Wouldn't hurt to put about 5 ounces of "Seafoam" in it with a full tank(gets rid of moisture).

You'll see the best results on the next tank full, after running the Seafoam.....

Wouldn't hurt to put about 5 ounces of "Seafoam" in it with a full tank(gets rid of moisture).

You'll see the best results on the next tank full, after running the Seafoam.....
yeah? ill pick up a can on friday when i get paid

oh my bad guys i chalked it up to a bad tank of gas. my mpg is still a little on the low side but i do need to get an oil change after that ill do the sea foam as i havent yet

oh my bad guys i chalked it up to a bad tank of gas. my mpg is still a little on the low side but i do need to get an oil change after that ill do the sea foam as i havent yet
Ours started dropping in early December. It's colder this year and on short trips (Cheshire to C. J.'s etc) we're down to about 30 mpg vs 32 last year.

Ours started dropping in early December. It's colder this year and on short trips (Cheshire to C. J.'s etc) we're down to about 30 mpg vs 32 last year.
now im back up to 30 but on a side note im glad to see someone local. which si sedan are you? theres a couple around.

Clean your air filter ya filthy animal! hahahaha.... nah man, seriously though, living in the NE it feels like our cars are dying by spring. The winter gas plus the crap roads and on/off winter conditions... ugh... its all bad. I remember a couple tanks of 24mpg and thinking WTF MY CAR IS BROKEN!

Clean your air filter ya filthy animal! hahahaha.... nah man, seriously though, living in the NE it feels like our cars are dying by spring. The winter gas plus the crap roads and on/off winter conditions... ugh... its all bad. I remember a couple tanks of 24mpg and thinking WTF MY CAR IS BROKEN!
lmao ya I love it here but feel bad for my car. Fot the filter when I got my Takeda retain I was one of the first 30 to own it so I got a premium oiled filter in addition to the one that came with it so late fall I swapped the filters and cleans the oiled one up and its waiting for sprinv

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
Back