Finished my box this weekend

looks like a really clean install man! Where are you mounting the amp?

looks like a really clean install man! Where are you mounting the amp?
behind the other wheel well. The bottom piece of the mold is done, I just need to make the cover, then carpet them both.

all fiberglass work? Any pics of mocking it up?

Clean setup there.

Tape off, First glass, final bondo, final deck.

Attachments

• tape off.jpg
    tape off.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 112
  • first glass.jpg
    first glass.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 106
  • bondo.jpg
    bondo.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 104
  • deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 106
Between step 2 & 3- what's used to form the speaker hole and keep that rigid for bondo?

The dirty secret of fiberglass boxes is the amount of wood you should use. Almost always, unless it is crazy custom you want to at least use a wood ring for mounting. for this box, 2/3 of the flat front panel is 3/4 mdf. Rolled the edges with glass, then just a little bit of bond/ filler to make it smooth. After you make you mold you want to use spare wood as filler to dramatically reduce your resin use. Wood scraps around the shop are free. Resin can run you $50 a gallon if you are buying one gallon at a time. You put them in between layers two and three of the glass and it works magic for strength and cost reduction. I did 6 layers, because of the sub choice, so a lot of resin was used.

:clapping:
nice job bro .
yaay for do it yourself sounds installers LMAO ! :guitar::thumbsup::bananasplit:

That amp rack is badass! Amazing job overall. Don't know if the pros could've done better.

Top notch! What material did you use to let the light go through the two holes?

Should this go into the DIY section?

Last edited:
Back