First post. Considering a '13 or '14 Civic.

I can think of a few fun things to add to that screen. :)

I'm going to poke around this site to see what you all are saying about the new Civic and use it as documentation for when I buy. I appreciate the help and comments!

I can think of a few fun things to add to that screen. :)

I'm going to poke around this site to see what you all are saying about the new Civic and use it as documentation for when I buy. I appreciate the help and comments!

After doing various research, it is usually best to test drive all the cars that you opt to purchase. And see what has the best features or things that you like most about the car.

Will do. It has been quite a while since I've done this [1998]. Gonna try to get a few more miles out of the old Sonata so I can save up a better downpayment.

I was looking at cars around this price point before I decided on the Civic. I drove the Elantra GT (loved all the features it offered), but I was seriously considering the Subaru Impreza Sport 5-Door. The boxer engine is a remarkably reliable configuration, and you'll get AWD + MPG in one package. Plus it's a hatchback design so it's very practical. It does have the problem of being a tad bit underpowered, but it's by no means a slouch. All models above the base trim comes with CVT that has 6 selectable ratios in "manual mode" and the Sport comes with steering paddles.

Just my 2¢

Reactions: Nix
The R18 engined Civics, DX/LX/EX trim levels, do try and keep the RPMS quite low to increase efficiency. There is a little hesitation and stutter with the auto trans on occasion. That said I have never felt that my car was slow. Pushing it a little bit and getting the rpms over 2500 and its quite quick.

Without getting too technical - below 2500-ish is the VTEC hot range on the cam. It's the opposite of "normal" VTEC that engages for more power. The r18 engine and its single cam with VTEC is designed for maximum efficiency and mileage so low RPMS are great in that sense but the car can feel pokey at times. There are some very high end features on this engine though. Such as oil jets in the cylinder to help keep temps cool and increase efficiency.

I looked at the Impreza at one point, . . . but the white face with red lighting gauges are not what my eyes like looking at. If they had been white colored lights, I would have considered it.

Any thoughts on the redesigned Corolla for '14? The LED headlights, . . . the "7 shift point" CVT transmission?

How about the Dodge Dart?

The Elantra GT IS tempting, for sure.

As for the Civic, are there things that you still wish were addressed for the 9th gen?

Again, thanks guys. Great info!

Interestingly, my brother let me "test drive" his car a bit on Saturday. Maybe it's because I've driven in my 1997 Sonata for a long time, but I didn't really see a lot of issues with that car. Seemed to handle quite well, have adequate acceleration, . . . but would have to go with the large display screen and that smaller screen at the guages for the digital display. So I guess I will add it to the list of "potentials" when I start shopping. Therefore, right now, it will be between:

2014 Honda Civic
2014 Hyundai Elantra GT
2014 Toyota Corolla
2014 Dodge Dart Limited

Last edited:
Interestingly, my brother let me "test drive" his car a bit on Saturday. Maybe it's because I've driven in my 1997 Sonata for a long time, but I didn't really see a lot of issues with that car. Seemed to handle quite well, have adequate acceleration, . . . but would have to go with the large display screen and that smaller screen at the guages for the digital display. So I guess I will add it to the list of "potentials" when I start shopping. Therefore, right now, it will be between:

2014 Honda Civic
2014 Hyundai Elantra GT
2014 Toyota Corolla
2014 Dodge Dart Limited

Sorry if i missed this somewhere but i bet a 2013 version of any of these cars would probably be cheaper? Unless the 2014 has specific upgrades you would like

The Civic I would get would just be an LX. Maybe an EX.

As for "why not a cheaper '13 instead of a '14", . . . . well, I'm going to try to get my current car to make it another year. The 2014 models will be out by then.

Thanks for the questions!

Nix, . . . is it due to having 4 wheel disc brakes or what? In other words, what do you wish your LX has that the EX comes with?

As per this topic:

I have to admit that the Dart, with the 1.4L Turbo, seems rather tempting. The same fuel economy as the Civic, but with 184 lb ft torque/160hp. Whether or not the Dar will last as long as the Civic may be another topic, though.

Yes, the rear drums vs discs is a huge thing. I don't have a problem with the drums but they are a pain and an eyesore. I had mine powdercoated and you can certainly use caliper paint.

The main thing I wanted/wished I had gotten is the folding of the rear seat. I believe the EX is a 60/40 but the LX is an all or nothing deal. Also the intermittent wiper control. My LX is Slow, Low, High. Not adjustable inbetween.

Yes, the rear drums vs discs is a huge thing. I don't have a problem with the drums but they are a pain and an eyesore. I had mine powdercoated and you can certainly use caliper paint.

The main thing I wanted/wished I had gotten is the folding of the rear seat. I believe the EX is a 60/40 but the LX is an all or nothing deal. Also the intermittent wiper control. My LX is Slow, Low, High. Not adjustable inbetween.
I bought my Jeep with a SLH wiper and had the Jeep for 18 years......... Let me tell ya' , I agree that is a big suck...... These wipers not only have a intermitting speed control, but has a auto adjust with the speed of the car......... Also sound system does a auto adjust to vol. with cars speed.

Reactions: Nix
Yeah, sometimes it's the small things you don't even realize until they aren't there.

That makes sense. If I go with Civic, I'll opt for the EX.

I saw that Mazda will have a new 3 for 2014. Exterior looks pretty good. Interior, . . . not so sure. But will add it to the list.

Kinda wishing [now] that I had come on here with a different user name. After a bit of self introspection, . . . I think I will just go with the Civic. I've watched several videos on the Civic, and other cars, and believe I would find the Civic to be an excellent car to drive, . . . especially after 16 years in an old school Hyundai Sonata.

Kinda wishing [now] that I had come on here with a different user name. After a bit of self introspection, . . . I think I will just go with the Civic. I've watched several videos on the Civic, and other cars, and believe I would find the Civic to be an excellent car to drive, . . . especially after 16 years in an old school Hyundai Sonata.
webby can help with a username change.

Back