First time dealing with attempted break-in..

cubert

Well, last night while my car was parked outside of a restaurant for a company Christmas party someone attempted to break into my car. I noticed it this morning when I went to get in it in the daylight and noticed a big chunk of weatherstripping missing. I put the window down and found a bunch of holes that look like they came from a coat hanger trying to get through. I'm pretty sure that they were unsuccessful as my iPod and charger were still in the glovebox. It really bums me out because that is the one thing I really worry about owning a Honda, as I seems Hondas specifically are targeted around here, makes me feel like I cant leave my car anywhere. Anyway, I suppose this was more for me to vent than anything else, but does anyone have any suggestions as far as where to start when shopping for an alarm? I know absolutely nothing about them, as I've never needed one before. Any direction would be appreciated!

One thing to remember is that the car has an immobilizer. Without your key, the car won't start. They'd need a flatbed/tow truck to steal it. Most likely they saw something inside they wanted, or you were just an unlucky random victim. Was anything of value in view? There is another thread going around today dealing with an iPod being stolen out of their car.

As for alarms...shops like bestbuy sell various brands. Not sure where youre located....but a number of audio/tinting/speaker shops deal with alarms as well. Just remember that an alarm won't stop someone if they see something they want. Quite a few 8th gen members had windows broken out by thieves.

Best advice I can give and I always follow is never leave anything in the car, not even coins. I am used to big crazy cities but even now while living in a quiet city I still do it and no problems.

At some point somebody broke in into an older car I had and stole my speakers and everything I had in the car, but that was just bad luck since it was just regular stock speakers. Different country though with more desperate thieves.

Sorry for the damage........ I'd suggest an alarm with a "pager"..........

The only thing I can think of is that my iPod cable may have been poking out of the center console a bit. I'm usually pretty good about making sure nothing of real value is in sight, but sometimes I forget about it. I know that if somebody wants to get in the Car bad enough, an alarm definitely won't stop them. But I think a Two way alarm system would just give peace of mind. I'm still going to research it quite a bit and see if it's worth it to me. In the meantime, I'm just going to make sure that there's absolutely nothing inside at all. Whether it be my iPod or a few pennies in the center console like Dragos said I don't want to give anyone any reason to touch it.

on a positive note, my buddy just got off the phone with his uncle that works at a Honda dealership. He said he's going to try and help me out and getting the weatherstripping replaced

Sucks... but what can you do? It would be nice if we could install flamethrowers in the rocker panels hooked up to a proximity sensor.... 1 minute beside car with no key fob nearby... and you get a bbq.... but that may present a whole host of other problems.... :hiding:car Flamethrower.jpg

Sorry to hear about that, OP. It can definitely feel a bit unsettling, despite the failed attempt. I heard there are two-way viper alarms that are pretty affordable- you can also change the setting of how the alarm should warn you when you're not around, pretty convenient if you ask me.

Just out of curiosity, what model is your civic?

One thing others have mentioned in other threads is, try to have a low profile when driving around your area. If you have an audio system etc - don't advertise it with stickers, or play loud music around your area. It may entice those who live nearby if they hear your system.

Djax- it's an si sedan

This car is actually really low profile compared to the last one I had. The si is bone stock as of now, where as my scion had a full exhaust, coils, and green wheels. The more I think about it the more I think/hope it's just a case of parking in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm kinda thinking I might debadge it to try and blend in a little more

Djax- it's an si sedan

This car is actually really low profile compared to the last one I had. The si is bone stock as of now, where as my scion had a full exhaust, coils, and green wheels. The more I think about it the more I think/hope it's just a case of parking in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm kinda thinking I might debadge it to try and blend in a little more

I was afraid you were going to say SI. I have an SI as well and someone tried messing with it too. The viper alarm might fit your bill- when your car's out of sight, the lcd screen on the two way alarm lets you know if anything strange happens. then you can run out with you nunchucks and do your thing :dancingcoolsmiley:

I never keep anything that I dont want stolen in my car overnite. That, and full coverage insurance and I sleep well at night. Going from just liability on my last car (1992 Supercharged Thunderbird) to full coverage on the 2012 SI, it went up $30. If you dont leave anything in th ecar and doors unlocked, probably wont get dammaged. Although, my luck somebody would probably take a crap on my seat just out of spite.

Back