Reminder: Remove Valuables from Your Car!

Bartjo06

Old Town, ME
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Just a friendly reminder guys, always remove your valuables from your car at night or whenever it's parked somewhere. At the least, make sure expensive stuff is out of the line of sight.

Back story:

Girlfriend's car was broken into last night. Someone smashed the passenger side window and stole a Cole Hahn tote bag with a laptop, Dooney purse, and a few other expensive items. The bag was in plain sight. My car was parked right next to hers and didn't get touched, likely because I never have anything valuable in the car (the same thing has happened to me in the past and I learned a hard lesson). We live in a VERY safe neighborhood in Maine where this kind of stuff supposedly never happens, we feel so violated.

Another tip: Always carry renters insurance if you rent, it helps in situations like this.

Fuuuuu.

IMG_20121212_073018_889.jpg

IMG_20121212_073029_683.jpg

IMG_20121212_073038_065.jpg

F'ing a'holes. I'd love to catch them in the act, then have them take a shot at me so I'm "defending myself" when I shoot them.

I've been seeing a few times on the news lately how thieves are following UPS/FedEx trucks, then stealing the packages after they're delivered to homes (in very nice neighborhoods). It looks like anybody is fair game anymore.

F'ing a'holes. I'd love to catch them in the act, then have them take a shot at me so I'm "defending myself" when I shoot them.

I've been seeing a few times on the news lately how thieves are following UPS/FedEx trucks, then stealing the packages after they're delivered to homes (in very nice neighborhoods). It looks like anybody is fair game anymore.

:banghead: I'm willing to bet it's people who need drug money, drugs have become a really bad problem in my area as of late. I've got plenty of guns to scare people off, but they don't help when you don't hear anything happening... unfortunately.

It amazes me the lack of compassion people have that do these types of things. Seriously? It's December 12th, less than two weeks away from Christmas... give a guy a break.

that sucks !!!! i hate it when stuff like that happens and thats why we can never have nice stuff because some1 else comes along and messes it all up for us :banghead: ...I feel for your friend :sadbanana: just let your friend know to be carful after the car is fixed because now after the thief finding all those goodies in the car that car is marked for good because the thief WILL come back and check that car time to time knowing the kind of taste your friend has in goods ....so tell your friend to never leave anything laying in there anymore AND to be carful goin to and from the car from now on ok .
i lived in the city most of my life and i know how these F***kers work so just a little fyi ok

Thanks for the advice bud.

Update:

I spoke with Allstate whom I have car, motorcycle, and renters insurance through. She immediately informed me that Beka, my girlfriend, isn't on the renters insurance policy so they won't be covering anything. I love how a technicality like having her name on the policy is enough for them to say they aren't going to do anything, even though the car was in my driveway and she's on the lease for the house. I have a feeling even if she were on the policy, they'd find another way of snaking out of taking responsibility.

Who wants to bet when we call her car insurance company they're going to tell us they'll cover the window but none of the valuables.

I love insurance companies SO MUCH.

Update:

I spoke with Allstate whom I have car, motorcycle, and renters insurance through. She immediately informed me that Beka, my girlfriend, isn't on the renters insurance policy so they won't be covering anything. I love how a technicality like having her name on the policy is enough for them to say they aren't going to do anything, even though the car was in my driveway and she's on the lease for the house. I have a feeling even if she were on the policy, they'd find another way of snaking out of taking responsibility.

Who wants to bet when we call her car insurance company they're going to tell us they'll cover the window but none of the valuables.

This is so very true. My gf works for geico and this stuff happens all the time. After she went through training we ended having to switch over and get more insurance to cover assholes like this. Sorry for the bs you are going through.

Thanks. I understand and take full responsibility for the fact that I didn't add her to the policy when she moved in, but it just seems wrong when someone else commits a crime and I'm left picking up the pieces AND paying for insurance that didn't do anything.

Man, this is like the third thread about theft/breaking into cars in just a few weeks. SUCKS!

Ken - I heard the same thing about people going around taking UPS/Fedex packages from porches. It made the suggestion to make ANY deliveries you have "signature required". They obviously won't leave it on your doorstep if you're not home. You also would have the option to pick it up from their facility if you're not home during the day.

Sorry bart

Update:

Like the TV lawyer commercials say "The insurance companies don't work FOR you", we do. And, with the unemployment going up, and all the other stuff the government is doing to steal our money, you can bet on more of these thieves in the future.

Regardless of who you are, where you're from-- when something like this happens to you, it is very unsettling and unwarranted. Very sorry to hear this happened to you and your girlfriend, OP. We hope, as the days go by, and as the holiday season gets closer, you guys will be in better spirits.

djax is right about not letting it drag you down, just let it be a life lesson and learn how to cover yourself/property the best you can. Karma will prevail.

Thanks guys. I think this will be a big lesson learned for her to not leave things lying around in her car. We'll pick up the pieces and get everything replaced, just glad they didn't touch the house. Her car insurance company is having the window replaced tomorrow so that's the biggest thing, having her car to drive with an effective window in these COLD temperatures.

Sorry to have this happen to your gf. Glad the insurance company is at least fixing the window. Definitely good to know about the renters insurance and making sure names are listed on the policy. Also, important to keep receipts and pictures of the items to be covered as they will want proof that you had them prior to the theft.

Thanks guys. I think this will be a big lesson learned for her to not leave things lying around in her car. We'll pick up the pieces and get everything replaced, just glad they didn't touch the house. Her car insurance company is having the window replaced tomorrow so that's the biggest thing, having her car to drive with an effective window in these COLD temperatures.
Be sure they get all the pieces of glass out of the runners and bottom of the door. Been there done that, got the T-shirt.

That sucks man... I have had my car broken in before and after the first time I stopped carrying anything in the car and decided to tint my windows, move to a better place and put up some security cameras...

Sorry about that man. But like you said sometimes you have to learn the hard way... I never leave anything in plain sight.. Even my USB for my iPod and my charger.. Tuck it away and usually those degenerates won't even bother....god it pisses me off that I get up early every day to go to work and earn what I have to just have sh*heads like this out there. Sorry ill stop my rant now :)

Most thieves are looking for easy money so they go after that is quick and easy. I always have a habit of putting my valuables out of sight and hide charging cables that might look expensive, i.e. white cables for ipod stuff.

Treat your car like a candy store. What they don't see they don't know what is there so they move on.

Back