Florida Driver Ticketed For Warning Others Of Speed Trap: Legal Or Not?

MrsJrotax101

Administrator
Admin
Florida Driver Ticketed For Warning Others Of Speed Trap: Legal Or Not?

2011-chevrolet-caprice-police-car_100230107_l.jpg

Eric Campbell was driving on Veteran’s Expressway in Tampa, Florida, when he spotted the Florida Highway Patrol cars sitting in the median. Campbell, who was driving the speed limit, did what he’s always done: he flashed his high beams to warn oncoming traffic of the speed trap.

One of the Florida State Troopers noticed Campbell’s efforts to warn oncoming traffic, and a minute later Campbell was being pulled over for his efforts. Advised that his flashing of high beams was illegal, Campbell was cited under Florida statute 316.2397 and given a $100 ticket.

Florida statute 316.2397 is a lengthy one, covering the conditions under which flashing lights are legal on both civilian and emergency vehicles. On civilian vehicles, flashing lights can be used to indicate a stopped vehicle or to signal a turn, but the statute says nothing about the use of headlights to signal other drivers.

By Campbell’s logic, and that of his attorney, the Florida Highway Patrol is incorrectly applying state law in an effort to generate revenue, so Campbell has filed a class-action lawsuit against the state. He’s seeking a refund of his $100 ticket, plus damages in excess of $15,000.
Case law is on his side as well, since a 2005 court order specified that Florida state law does not specifically prohibit the flashing of headlights.

Campbell isn’t the only one ticketed incorrectly; since 2005, there have been over 10,000 motorists in Florida ticketed under the same statute. Punitive damages aside, if all 10,000 motorists participate in Campbell’s class-action lawsuit, Florida is looking at the repayment of over $1 million in potentially ill-gotten ticket revenue.

damages of 15k... :bleh:

if the cop burned his car to the ground during the ticket, sure.

LOL..... bunch of stupidity here. Stupid cop for ticketing the guy. Stupid lawsuit for damages, most of which will probably go to the lawyer's legal fees.

Cops don't know all the law, thats what the courtroom is for. I'm not defending them even though I am an infamous supporter of law enforcement, I'm just stating that while a headache, it shouldn't be surprising. I feel they should know the law but if that were the case, they'd be lawyers, not cops.

I have absolutely zero support for speed traps so I'm glad to see this turning into a hassle for them.

Well if your speeding..... so be it. If I get a ticket I don't blame the cops for doing there job, it was my fault I disobeyed the legal limit. But don't give out a ticket for something so stupid.

I don't know about you, but where I live there are a LOT bigger things to worry about than someone exceeding the speed limit much less than the police themselves do on a regular basis.

I flash my lights sometimes to warn other drivers of a cop/speed trap but not all the time.

In Maryland, police officers ticket drivers for flashing car headlights under a law which prohibits driving in a vehicle with flashing lights and laws prohibiting "obstructing a police investigation".[12] The American Civil Liberties Union of Maryland challenges the current interpretation of the law, contending the law refers to an adjective and not a verb; automatic flashing lights on non-emergency vehicles are illegal, but the act by a driver of flashing a vehicle's headlamps is not.[12] Though ticketing was common in the 1990s, Maryland and Washington, D.C. police say that flashing one's headlights was not against the law in either place.[24]

In Virginia, headlight flashing to warn of police activity is not illegal, even though other evasion techniques like radar detectors are outlawed.[40]

In New Jersey, drivers are allowed to flash their headlights to warn approaching drivers about a speed trap ahead.[26] In 1999, The Superior Court of New Jersey Appellate Division held that a statute limiting how far high beams may project is not violated when a motorist flashes his or her high beams to warn oncoming motorists of radar. The Court also concluded that a stop by a police officer based upon high beam flashing is also improper.[27]

In Pennsylvania, the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania has ruled that flashing one's highbeams during the day to warn of speed traps is legal.[37][38]

Canada

In Ontario, the Highway Traffic Act prohibits "flashing head beams".[49] Some have brought tickets to court, claiming the law only regulates the use of alternating lights in an attempt to impersonate emergency and law enforcement vehicles, and not a driver's manually flashing his car's headlamps to communicate with other drivers.[49]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight_flashing

Florida judge rules flashing lights for speed trap warning is covered under free speech
A Florida man has won his First Amendment case against the Seminole County Sheriff's Office, who wrongfully ticketed him for flashing his lights to warn other drivers of a speed trap. According to the Orlando Sentinel, a Circuit Court judge not only said that the deputy who ticketed Ryan Kintner had misapplied a state law banning aftermarket flashing emergency lights, but also ruled that flashing your lights to communicate with other drivers qualifies as constitutionally protected speech.

But this victory for Kintner is just a stepping stone towards a larger case. According to the report, his attorney has filed a class action lawsuit that charges the Florida Highway Patrol with willfully violating a 2005 court order prohibiting the police from ticketing motorists for flashing their brights. The report says that case has a hearing scheduled for next month, so this is certainly not the last we'll hear on the issue.

Someone flashing lights about a week ago saved my butt. I returned the favor and flashed cars for at least the next 1/2 mile. Glad to see he won the case.

I just slow down exactly at the speed limit when my radar detector goes off, so the cars behind me would stay at the same speed.

Back