forget slamming it lets talk stopping...

Pads probably not. Its most likely "warped" brake rotors. They rotor itself isn't really warped, you've just got pad material deposits causing high spots that you feel. It is strange that it only happens when they get hot but that is the only thing I can think of that would cause that. If the rotors are still in good shape overall and have a lot of life left in them you can just get them turned and machined/lathed flat again. That should solve the issue for you. Make sure and bed the pads in again if you get this done. Same with replacing any parts. Changing the pads alone probably won't fix it though. Changing rotors, most likely.

The reason I asked is because I don't think this is the case. My company van does the same thing. When the brakes get hot they start making the noise and vibration of a warped rotor. But they don't do it on either my van or my civic when using the brakes normally. Only when being aggressive with them. I had warped rotors on my charger, and while it was very similiar in the symptoms, but occured at all times, cold or hot. Every time I hit the pedal. That's why I was thinking I may just be overheating the pads and wondering if upgrading to performance street pads would help.

thanks for all thereplies guys. will try hpd pads first seeing as a local cen get them fairly cheap (his uncle races hondas on a pro level) and ill go from there

I'll support @Bulkybear I've had the same phenomenon happen try to stop from a 110 at a 75% pedal effort. As soon as I started to feel the vibration I lifted and eased back into it and it slowly showed again. After stopping and resuming my travels I got on them hard again, since I can turn my rotors anyways if I do wrap them, and nothing. I've caused some discoloring from heat on the front rotors but never a vibration. It's only happened twice so far and usually on the limits of high speed stops and it doesn't seem repeatable. Maybe on a day off ill play with off ramps and see if I can figure it out.

Back