Fuel Problem?

Lsxtrkiller

Hello all,

I have a 2013 civic si totally stock.

Last night I was driving home on the freeway on cruise control and suddenly I lost all throttle response... I thought cruise just turned off but when I got on the accelerator I had nothing... pulled over and the engine died... tried to start it no go...

I towed it home and tried to start it this AM and the battery was dead leading me to believe it was an alternator issue but I tried to jump it and charge the battery and it still wont start. I sprayed starter fluid in the intake and it starts right up and runs for a few seconds before dying. This leads me to believe its a fuel system problem but I can hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds when I turn the key. What is the next logical step? fuel pump even though I can hear it running? fuel filter clog? or some sensor or replay not supplying fuel to the injectors? where do I begin diagnosing... if its something simple id like to fix it myself and not take it to a shop but I also don't want to go down the road where I just start buying one part at a time and see what works.

Please advise.

Is your car throwing any sort of check engine light or other codes? Have you previously run the car out of gas or extremely low? you could have picked up some sediment from the bottom of the fuel tank.

I would start by seeing if you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail. If there's a clog in the line somewhere the pump will still run but wont be able to push fuel to the injectors. If the car starts with fluid it at least points to me that your issue is somewhere between the tank and the injectors. You can rent a fuel pressure gauge from an auto parts store or you could also just pull the rail out with the injectors and try starting the car to see if they are squirting fuel (this isn't the safest method, but it will tell you if fuel is actually getting to the engine).

Edit: saw you were stock.

Sorry I’m late to meeting fellas.

Last edited:
Back