Fuel range/tank range of 1 mile fills with 11.83gal to the rim

Robert Ian

Daytona Beach FL USA
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
sedan
The 2015 Civic LX with 5000 miles has a 12 gallon fuel tank, plus the adjoining filler pipe. So, with the fuel pump in the tank 12.1gals to the rim may be possible.

Anyone tried to go 10 miles beyond the 0 mile fuel range? Might try this with a 1 gal fuel canister in the trunk.
How is Fuel Range Calculated? Would it be based on recent MPG or based on the average tank MPG?

I don't know when it says 0 miles, but I've gone well past it in other Hondas. I was in a situation where numerous gas stations were closed over a 2hr+ trip. I just kept using gps to find stations, but they were closed. It sucked. I found a place, but no idea how long I ran on 0 miles.

I'd also note that it isn't something I'd just try to do for fun. Any bad gas & sediment at the bottom of your tank is going to be pumped into your fuel filter/pump/system/engine. I wouldn't let my tank run dry for an experiment if I could avoid it.

What do you mean when you say filling to the rim, if you fill your tank passed the point when the pump shuts off automatically, you will damage the fuel solenoid, when the pump shut off the fuel is at the level it should be in the tank, if you keep going, the fuel will cover this device and ruin it. I did this in another vehicle I had and it was a $400 repair.

The 2015 Civic LX with 5000 miles has a 12 gallon fuel tank, plus the adjoining filler pipe. So, with the fuel pump in the tank 12.1gals to the rim may be possible.

Anyone tried to go 10 miles beyond the 0 mile fuel range? Might try this with a 1 gal fuel canister in the trunk.
How is Fuel Range Calculated? Would it be based on recent MPG or based on the average tank MPG?

In our '12 Si (13.2 gal tank) I've gone as many as 50 miles beyond the lo-fuel warning light and had .8 gal (calculated) left. I calculate 2.5 - 2.7 gal left when I hit lo-fuel warning light.
Range is calculated on current mpg times gal left in tank (less the lo-fuel margin - probably 2 gal in the LX). Driving at a reasonable steady pace the LX should be good for another 30 miles minimum - but don't push it.

Back