Future headlights turn rain invisible

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
video here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...-turn-rain-invisible-we-explain-how-in-video/

Rain -- the scourge of the night driver! Too many times have distracting droplets proved an annoyance for those traveling roads after dark. New technology co-developed by Intel and Carnegie Mellon University could one day change all that. I've spoken to Intel about the new tech, so hit play on the video above to find out how it works.

Instead of relying on a bog-standard bulb to beam light out over a darkened road, the futuristic setup would use something more akin to a projector. Meanwhile a camera sits nestled beneath that projector, keeping an eye on drops of rain as they enter the headlights' beams. Information from that camera is sent to a processing unit, which identifies raindrops and makes a guess as to where each droplet is headed.

The projector then blots out the bits of its projection where the rain drops are. The result is a light that shines out from the front of a carin the dark, but doesn't highlight any rain. You'll need a powerful projector to make it work though, and obviously cramming a camera, projector and processing unit into the front of your car will be more expensive than a normal bulb.

As a result, don't expect to see this technology squeezed into cars any time soon. Intel reckons we'll see it inside new vehicles within a decade, though.

I put some after market lights on my Jeep back in the mid 90's(PIAA) that did that with rain/fog/snow/etc. , and worked quite well. It was a physical devise ......
They had a metal plate that blocked the upper half of the beam. If you were to point the car at a wall you'd see the bottom of the wall bathed in light, and would be dark above a sharp line where the light started and stopped. the lights were about $250 back then.

I couldn't see anything above the line of light, and could see the road fine, why they didn't catch on is beyond me.

• Staff
sounds kind of like a hid projector with a cutoff shield

(yet this is pointed way up on a wall...)

gar15.jpg

Yeh.... same thing, mine were adjusted about half way up the wall from where the top of those are, and I had them wired so I could run with those on with or without my headlights on.

• Staff
yeah, the pic I posted is somewhat deceiving.... The light in that pic is probably close to five and a half feet high at the highest point. It's not mounted on a car or anything. It's just sitting on a stool pointed at the wall for the purpose of showing what kind of output it has.

Back