GM to reveal a radically new Corvette

I wonder what it takes to get his job driving new cars around.
It’s usually engineers that work for the brand. I actually knew a couple of mechanical engineers that did a ton of testing new vehicles. They got to drive around in some cool stuff before it was released. They also “tested” competitor cars. The company would sometimes import cars from other countries that weren’t even released in the states. They’d basically beat on them for a period of time and note what they liked/disliked and then they’d literally disassemble the entire car. It was essentially reverse engineering higher level vehicles to see what their tech was and see how the could implement similar things into their own line of future vehicles.

"Unhackable ECU" in the C8?

It is claimed that if someone attempts to crack into the C8 Corvette ECU, the car’s computer will be shut down and need to be rebooted, likely with a program only accessible to Chevrolet. A report claims that all new C8 Corvette models will feature a unique encrypted ECU system which apparently means tuning and re-programming the ECU could almost be impossible.

Unnamed sources assert that the encrypted ECU of the C8 will make it extremely difficult to read, write, and/or replace. Tuning companies could still of course fit mechanical modifications to the C8’s powertrain but without the ability to tune or replace the ECU to make the most of these upgrades, any alterations would be rendered virtually useless.

////

Nissan said similar things when they were releasing the GT-R, but COBB was able to hack it in like a week. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the C8.

Oh no!! I give this a week before someone cracks it. I wonder if MoTec will make a move on this project.

How is this a good thing, not being able to tune the car at all. It's like being stuck with rev hang forever which looks like the first mod I am going to do on the Honda sense I have the hondata tuner. Waiting for the software to let me shift the car is not a good idea.:banghead:

How is this a good thing, not being able to tune the car at all. It's like being stuck with rev hang forever which looks like the first mod I am going to do on the Honda sense I have the hondata tuner. Waiting for the software to let me shift the car is not a good idea.:banghead:

"You can buy a car, but you don’t own the software in its computers. That’s proprietary; it’s copyrighted; and it belongs to its manufacturers."

https://www.wired.com/2015/01/let-us-hack-our-cars/

There was a big fuss a few years back where shops were reported raided that were selling modified ecu tunes/programming devices like cobb/hondata etc. Modifying the ecu can also get around EPA regulations, and the companies selling those items were being targeted by the gov.

Here is a single page from the lawsuit against evans tuning. This was the EPA suing them, & it has a list of products the EPA had issues with.

0uD0DGA.jpg

========

On the manufacturers side, they also have to deal with warranty claims. Say you put your si to 500hp and blow something up in the engine. You used hondata to do that. If you remove your hondata ecu code and go back to the stock ecu code, you could in theory take the car back to honda and act as if it blew up under warranty. Do you think they should have to replace your engine under warranty in that situation? There are endless threads where people ask questions pertaining how to basically do just that on countless forums.

prepare to see more of this
https://www.vividracing.com/epa-compliance-i-94355.html

EPA Compliance
The US Government's Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is aggressively enforcing the Clean Air Act which prohibits the sale, advertising for sale, or installation of any product that alters Emission Control Devices on a vehicle. Emission control devices would relate to catalytic converters or products that can control how a catalytic converter can be used.

Unfortunately this has a huge impact on our industry and the EPA has proposed a regulation to prohibit conversion of vehicles originally designed for on-road use into racecars. The regulation would also make the sale of certain products for use on such vehicles illegal. The proposed regulation was contained within a non-related proposed regulation entitled “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles—Phase 2".

As of February 24, 2016 we can no longer sell these products within the USA as the EPA has designated them as "areas of concern". If the above Greenhouse Gas Emissions regulation passes, there will be a lot less that you the consumer and us a retailer can provide you! Currently, the only way we can sell a true Competition Race Only product to end users, businesses, and/or race teams, is the vehicle must be designated for track only use. This vehicle would never drive on public roads and have no state registration. In addition to the vehicle use verification, we also would need a Vehicle Compliance Waiver signed.

Vivid Racing apologizes for this inconvenience. We are not the only ones involved in this matter. However legally we must fall into compliance with the EPA's request.

If you have any questions in regards to this or purchasing products for specific Competition Race Use Only, please email sales@vividracing.com or call us 1.480.966.3040.

You underestimate the car gods?

So my EPA gas can that I modified with a china ebay spout is now a illegal gas can. Donald Triumph will cut the EPA budget to nothing, so much for the EPA= California is routinely ignored every where! I noticed my Predator dodge tuner isn't liked by EPA or my 96 octane tune or my 93 octane too.

Attachments

• P1011422.JPG
    P1011422.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • P1011421.JPG
    P1011421.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
So my EPA gas can that I modified with a china ebay spout is now a illegal gas can. Donald Triumph will cut the EPA budget to nothing, so much for the EPA= California is routinely ignored every where! I noticed my Predator dodge tuner isn't liked by EPA or my 96 octane tune or my 93 octane too.
You gas can has nothing to do with removing a catalytic converter on a car

Holy hell, the EPA is getting out of control. Can't convert a street car to a race car?...nah **** dat, who are they to regulate that? I can see how it's related in a very technical sense, but it's still a stretch.

I like the corvette, that doesn't do me much good. I don't have enough dough to buy one. I wouldn't buy anything new, Scotty Kilmer says
No.:bananapoke:

Yea my uncle has one and I’m trying to finagle my way into it.

Also that’s my favorite style of Vette. It’s been a dream build since I first wrenched on a car.

Bob Lutz Says GM Should Build A Corvette SUV

With less than a month left to go until the Chevrolet C8 Corvette premieres, former General Motors vice chairman Bob Lutz has revealed that if he was still with the automaker, the Corvette would have morphed into an SUV too.

While speaking with Auto News, Lutz said that while he believes the C8 Corvette will likely sell well following its long-awaited introduction, he doesn’t believe it will attract younger and new customers to the brand and instead have largely the same customer base as the C7. He went on to state that he doesn’t think “anyone is going to get out of a Porsche 911” and buy a mid-engine Corvette.

If Lutz could have his way, Chevrolet would be investing in transforming the Corvette name and launching a performance-focused, upmarket SUV to rival vehicles like the Porsche Cayenne. Such a model could be produced in numbers ranging from 20,000 to 30,000 units annually and could have a starting price north of $100,000.

While an SUV could dilute the Corvette name, the former industry executive believes it would help bolster GM profits and help the company capture a share of the booming SUV and crossover market.

Back