Going to look at trucks tomorrow

Gitrdone42

Boiling Springs
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
sedan
Just thought I would get some opinions from some people on here. I am looking for a 4 door and not real sure what I want. Going to go test drive several in the morning. Also not sure if I want to go new or used. So does anyone have any suggestions?

Depends why you think you want a truck. Obviously to be able to haul stuff, but what?

Most people can get by with a 1/2 ton full sized pickup, which usually handle a payload of about 1000 to 1500 pounds. Some people are even happy with a mini pickup, which are limited to much smaller payloads.

If you think you'll want to haul more, or be able to pull a sizable trailer, then you'll need a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. These will have payload capabilities from 2000 to over 5000 pounds, and will pull up to almost 12 ton trailers.

In my opinion, if you want a mini pickup, then Toyota is probably your best bet. For 1/2 ton and larger, I am a big fan of the F-series Fords, which have been the highest selling vehicle on the planet for over two decades. I personally own a 4WD F250 Superduty. It has served me very well on many occasions for hauling/pulling, and has been very reliable. However, unless you have the occasion often enough to utilize a full size pickup, and are willing to live with their poor mileage, then you would be much better off just renting one from a Home Depot or Lowes.

I'm a big fan of the F series too for full sized but in the case of mini trucks I think toyota are overpriced for what you get now a days. The older ones were worth it but not anything newer because their production quality has taken a hit. Design quality is still there but production quality has taken a hit due to them trying to pump out too many vehicles.

However, unless you have the occasion often enough to utilize a full size pickup, and are willing to live with their poor mileage, then you would be much better off just renting one from a Home Depot or Lowes.

+1

Well I test drove 6 trucks today. First was a ram 1500 crew cab 4x2(probably going for 4x4), it was nice drove good and smooth. 20 mpg hwy on it and sticker was like 33k and 36k for the 4x4 all before incentives and rebates. Next went to ford but didn't test drive because the ones I liked were out of price range. Went to nissan and drove a frontier and didn't like it at all, felt way too small and too much noise and didn't have a good feel. Drove the titan after that and loved it. MPG isn't as good for it 13 city and 18 hwy. Sticker 33-36k. I liked how it drove and felt and all probably one of my top choices. Left there and headed to chevy, drove a silverado 1500 z71 4x4. It was alright not my favorite and they didn't want to come off the price at all. Doubt I will head back there. Last place was toyota, drove the tundra first liked it but felt way too big so I drove the tocoma. Nice truck good size felt nice sport model. Price on it was 32k. So all in all my list kind of goes Titan, Ram, Tocoma, Tundra, Silverado then Frontier.

Now just gotta talk to the wife and get her opinions on them and get her to go look at them to see what she likes.

So between the top three what would be yall's choice?

I won't be hauling very much just ever so often. Basically I am just tired of having to call a friend if I need to go pick something up or have my brother do it for me which he doesn't like to do. I also want something big enough for when we have kids that we have enough room for a car seat in the back.

Have you considered a trailer hitch and a small trailer for the Si? How often are you transporting things so large that they don't fit in the car? A little trailer will be SIGNIFICANTLY more inexpensive than buying a truck. I've towed a ~2000lb trailer with the Si across the continent without issue (apart from tire wear). I wasn't aware child car seats didn't fit in the rear of the sedan Si - my coupe has the child seat latches in the back and I would have assumed the sedan would make that even more accessible/comfortable.

It's a common theme but wasteful and expensive... just throwing economical and "sensible" options out there :thumb:

Yeah the car seats will fit and all. I have just been wanting to get a truck for a while. I am not crazy about the hitch on the Si but it may be an alternative. The wife is leaning towards not getting anything now anyway.

I had a 2011 Chevy Silverado Z71 extended cab with appearance package and loved the truck. Was amazing in the winter last year and was great for hauling things. unfortunately working as much as I do and traveling between three jobs, I was spending 120$+ a week in gas, + truck payment, + insurance. I bit the bullet and rolled over some negative equity, and got my 2012 Civic SI. Now with my '12 Si my payment is less, and I pay 40$ a week in gas and my insurance went down. Saving myself roughly 600$ a month.

However, considering the fact that you are going to get to keep your Si, I applaud your decision to buy a truck, and am rather jealous despite how much I like my Honda. I like my Honda, I loved my truck... Just be happy your truck is not going to be your daily driver though considering how much I was spending on gas haha

I'm on my second tacoma and love it. I had a ford f-150 before and it was nothing but trouble ( at the garage at least bi-weekly). Even after owning my first tacoma for 10 years it still drove like it was new. My current tacoma is a 2005 and still drives like new. My friends own other make of truck and riding in them they really show their age (at least that's what I noticed). Another thing is that the tacoma keeps it's value so if you trade it in a few years you would get good money for it compared to other trucks.

The older tacomas seem to hold up really well, but if you think the new 4dr frontier felt small, that's probably not an option. If you're just looking to randomly pick up stuff from a home store or whatever, you may want to look at trailers or the rental option. You can rent a truck from big box stores (for a day) pretty cheap. Heck, just the cost of full coverage insurance on one of the trucks mentioned would probably be more than renting every weekend (without a car payment). If you're in a situation where you're pulling a boat or need it for work all the time...that's a different situation.

only comment on the Titan ... Avoid it. Take a read on the Titan forums, even owners don't really like it.

-Keith
'11 WRX

If looking for mid sized, how about a ridgeline? I have owned 2 and they drive like an accord. There isn't another trick that can hold its bumper through the twisties

-Keith
'11 WRX

Thanks I haven't really researched much. Mainly because I wanted to test drive first and see what I liked. But now since we are waiting a while longer I will have plenty of time to. We are going to try to pay off the wifes car next year and then maybe look into a truck. Also on the ridgeline, I'm just not crazy about it. I guess I will have to test drive it next time I go looking.

I've driven ridgelines and have found that the low end ones feel cheaper, the EX or EXL are really nice. I had an EXL Navi for the weekend once and it was really nice. With the mileage that they get you may as well get a full sized truck though.

Back