Handsfreelink paired with Samsung Galaxy Note II...texting capability?

turkish80

Cary, IL
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I've done some searching and have found all sorts of information that says my phone (Note II) is not compatible with the HFL in my 2013 Si. That includes the "phone selector" on the Honda Website.

Despite that...

When I first got the car into my driveway the day I bought it, I sat and went through all the setup for linking the phone and importing the phonebook. Then I tested the hands-free call function. Worked as expected. Then I tested the text capabilities. I was thoroughly impressed with the fact that the car would show me the text while parked and read it out loud, even while driving. And then I discovered I could reply with basic built-in responses. I loved it. And I have used it ever since, quite happily. There's nothing nicer than not having to look at my phone while driving on the expressway to read and respond to texts.

Here's where it get's weird...and pretty frustrating...

All of a sudden, tonight, while driving to jam with a buddy of mine, I received a text and the notification tone came through the HFL as I was listening to music over Bluetooth, but it didn't read out the text message. When I got to my buddy's house, I went into the phone menu (on the car) and tried going into the text message menu to see if there was anything messed up in there. I got the message "Your phone does not support text messaging."

Why would the HFL text messaging work fine with my phone for over 3 months and then randomly decide to stop working? Randomly. No updates to the phone's firmware, no changes to phone settings, no changes to the car's settings.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen? Anyone else successfully using text messaging with a Note II?

I can turn on "Driving Mode" on my phone to have it read out text messages, but I really don't want to have to turn that on and off whenever I get in and out of my car. It's frustrating that it worked fine and now it doesn't.

I even tried unpairing the phone, deleting it out of the car's computer, and adding it back in. Still no luck.

Well, unless anybody actually has a solution for me, then I guess I just vented my frustration. I just hope I'm not the only one that has experienced this. I also hope someone has found a fix.

Mine won't let me call back or reply. Just read. Wish I knew why.
uqyse5a5.jpg
5y7adeja.jpg

I don't know why, but some people have said they unpaired/deleted the phone from the car, and then they added the phone back. They said it started working again. I don't know what caused the problems though.

Mine won't let me call back or reply. Just read. Wish I knew why.
uqyse5a5.jpg
5y7adeja.jpg

It's a limitation with the interaction between the phone and the Handsfeeelink system. If you go to the Handsfreelink website it shows how each manufacturer's phone will work with the car. In my case with an iPhone it shows that it won't reply to texts. It works exactly the way they say it will. I agree that it would have been nice to be able to reply, but only certain manufacturers have that enabled.

Back