Hard Braking

Sinub

Southern California
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
I wad wondering if anyone ever feels a crunching/bumpy feel when braking really hard on your foot when braking but not really any kind of a grinding noise when it happens

It's the ABS. That's normal.

Ok that's what I thought. Just making sure haha, first car and never experienced abs and no one I asked knew what it was
I also freaked out when I first experienced it. Lol.

Is your car sliding on loose gravel when this is happening? I've never had abs kick in unless I've been in snow or really loose gravel.

I wad wondering if anyone ever feels a crunching/bumpy feel when braking really hard on your foot when braking but not really any kind of a grinding noise when it happens
I've locked em up a couple times and it does feel weird. It's happened to me on dry asphalt before. I think as long as you don't have any vibration at the steering wheel and it feels ok afterward, you're good.

I had mine kick in as well on few hard stops, but you have to really go for it.

I would like so much to turn it off sometimes since it raises the braking threshold but nothing is perfect :)

I had mine kick in as well on few hard stops, but you have to really go for it.

I would like so much to turn it off sometimes since it raises the braking threshold but nothing is perfect :)
:1: A buddy of mine disabled the ABS on his Porsche....I wonder how difficult that would be.

:1: A buddy of mine disabled the ABS on his Porsche....I wonder how difficult that would be.

It has to be doable there has to be an ABS fuse, but I am thinking there has to be a cleaner way.

I would love to find an easy convenient way like the TC off button. When the wife drives it I can leave it on. When I want to have fun turn it off.

Last edited:
It has to be doable there has to be an ABS fuse, but I am thinking there has to be a cleaner way.

I would love to find an easy convenient way like the TC off button. When the wife drives it I can leave it on. When I want to have fun turn it off.

Maybe find the fuse and wire a switch? Perhaps wire it into the traction control switch...

Last edited:
Maybe find the fuse and wire a switch? Perhaps wire it into the traction control switch...

Interior fuse box pos 24 seems to be it according to the manual. I could try it see how it goes. Wondering if design wise ABS brakes with ABS off behave like the classic ones, or there is a catch.

I don't see any reason they wouldn't act like normal brakes. You would simply be turning of the sensors and servos (or whatever mechanical mechanism it uses).

Last edited:
Is your car sliding on loose gravel when this is happening? I've never had abs kick in unless I've been in snow or really loose gravel.
Never driven on gravel... Yet and I live in so cal part where it never snows so neither I or my car have ever seen snow, when abs kicks in it only does the crunch like feel once maybe twice but that's about it, never gets really crazy or anything.

Back