Harnesses needed for a Pioneer Head Unit?

squiggy

Cartographer
VIP Member
Michiana
Vehicle Model
Toyota MR2 Spyder
Body Style
Convertible
So I am about to purchase and install one of these (just waiting for it to hit the right price):

61i-V2Jfb5L._SL1000_.jpg

A Pioneer
AVH-X5500BHS Multimedia DVD Receiver with 7" Motorized Touchscreen Display

I just want to make sure I take into account all of the harnesses I need and make sure I get the right ones.

I am looking at a video bypass, but I am not sure which wire harness need. I am still on the fence about a harness for steering wheel controls, too.

Basically, can someone point me to the correct harness and possibly provide any other insight as far as installing this in relation to the amp that comes with an Si.

Last edited:
Axxess is far better for the steering wheel interface than the PAC unit, PAC has a lag and the axxess can be user updated to new firmware over time

you have two options for the amp

option 1 - keep the stock amp (probably easier)
use the pre amp outputs from the head unit into the stock harness and the stock amp turn on lead. This will most likely require modification to the install harness to work as you will want to take the 4 speaker wires that come off the aftermarket stereo and instead plug them into the preamp outputs.

option 2 - use the pioneer radio's internal amp
you will have to run wires from the install harness all the way to wherever the external oem amp is and connect those wires to the post-amp speaker leads

crutchfield said the axxess wasn't compatible with his, yet the axxess site claimed it would work....so I didn't post it.

i dont get how they still dont support the bluetooth buttons, i would almost be willing to let someone experiment with mine to see if it really does or not if it wasnt such a pain to uninstall and reinstall

In theory if you follow the PAC instructions for the 9th gen, tapping the bluetooth and audio button wires into the input wire for the Axxess it should be able to differentiate the button presses and work with all of them

you have two options for the amp

option 1 - keep the stock amp (probably easier)
use the pre amp outputs from the head unit into the stock harness and the stock amp turn on lead. This will most likely require modification to the install harness to work as you will want to take the 4 speaker wires that come off the aftermarket stereo and instead plug them into the preamp outputs.

option 2 - use the pioneer radio's internal amp
you will have to run wires from the install harness all the way to wherever the external oem amp is and connect those wires to the post-amp speaker leads

I believe I would probably go with option one as I recall that the stock amp is made by Pioneer and it is the same wattage per channel (I think?) as the head unit. I would definitely need some guidance with the wiring, though. I am surprised there isn't an application specific harness yet.

I don't think I am too concerned about the steering wheel controls since I don't use them now. Not concerned about Bluetooth either as it is a feature of the head unit.

Will I need an antenna adapter too?

that should do what you want for option 1

Well, I have ordered the Metra Dash Kit, Metra Harness, Metra Antenna Adapter, and a parking brake bypass. Now just need to pull the plug on the Head Unit. The head unit also supports backup cameras! Now to determine a solution.

They are not fully compatible yet,some parts work but there is a delay,I would wait.

for the steering wheel controls or other parts?

Steering wheel for sure,the others supposedly don't work at all.

Other than the control unit for the steering wheel, I am not sure how simple harnesses would cause a delay. They are merely extending the length of a wire to carry a signal. :confuzzled:

You can get the head to work fine, but you lose factory Bluetooth,imid function with audio, hands free with factory microphone, source button on steering wheel only gives some imid function,and the arrows work but are delayed. Now most high dollar units offer blue tooth and USB and hands free but none will be compatible with factory stuff, it just matters if you want everything like it is ( like I do) or just use the aftermarket items ( seperate mic,different USB etc) that's really all that's out there until alpine comes our with perfect fit for Honda.

None of that really matters to me since it is either included in the head unit or I simply don't use it. Thank you for the heads up and explanations, though.

Back