HELP & advice

TJ___90

Charlotte, NC
Vehicle Model
2012 CIVIC SI
Body Style
Coup
not from the US I'm international student so I dont know what should I do in this case so what do you guys think?

Ok this morning I found this attached note on my window. :ohsnap:

2h74094.jpg

The case is I live in an apartment. Installed S2 DP and Exhaust few weeks ago. Never got out from home before 10am so it not too early but that bloody loud cold start its annoying. And when ever I come back I put the car on neutral and let it slid so I dont make a noise never rived the engine.

Does He/She/it have the right to do whats on the note? So is it illegal and the police can do something? or should I just have some fun with who ever left the note?

You will need to check into your local noise ordinances. Otherwise, there is nothing anyone can do. Hell, even if they did call the police, the police would have to witness the noise. They CANNOT ask you to start the car up just to check. Towing company will only tow your car if the property owners/managers call for you to be towed and then they would need a legitimate reason to tow you.

I doubt your car will get towed. Lol. The towing service/police will not do anything to your car if you're not doing anything wrong.

You will need to check into your local noise ordinances. Otherwise, there is nothing anyone can do. Hell, even if they did call the police, the police would have to witness the noise. They CANNOT ask you to start the car up just to check. Towing company will only tow your car if the property owners/managers call for you to be towed and then they would need a legitimate reason to tow you.

Could you please help me finding the noise ordinances limit Charlotte NC ? I only found music.

Last edited:
I think dB limit depends on where you live.

Could you please help me finding the noise ordinances limit? I only found music.

It could be that your town/county only has a noise ordinance in relation to music. If you can't find anything online, you may have to make some phone calls to your local government.

It could be that your town/county only has a noise ordinance in relation to music. If you can't find anything online, you may have to make some phone calls to your local government.

ok will do

Attached is the link to Charolette laws on noise. I doubt the police/towing company would do any thing, but you neighbors are *****.

http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cities/charlott.htm

Sec. 15-72. Motor vehicles.
It shall be unlawful to operate or allow the operation of any motor vehicle in the city:
(1) Which has had its muffler-exhausts- and/or other noise-control equipment removed, altered or maintained in such disrepair as to create unreasonably loud and disturbing noises.
(2) By engaging in jackrabbit starts, spinning tires, racing engines, or other operations which create unreasonably loud and disturbing noises.
(3) Off the boundaries of a public street for racing or other operations which create unreasonably loud and disturbing noises.
(Code 1961, § 13-53.6; Ord. No. 1401, § 1, 8-8-83; Ord. No. 3273, § 5, 12-9-91)

I wouldn't worry, if you just have a downpipe without an exhaust, your car can't be THAT loud, and not to stereotype or discriminate, but based on the person's handwriting and multiple errors, it seems they would have a hard time describing why you should be towed/ticketed

I wouldn't worry, if you just have a downpipe without an exhaust, your car can't be THAT loud, and not to stereotype or discriminate, but based on the person's handwriting and multiple errors, it seems they would have a hard time describing why you should be towed/ticketed
True. The person should have used a pencil or an erasable pen.

Ya, bad grammar....eesh! I have got grade 4s in my class who can write a better sentence than that.

No worries about getting towed. I would be more worried about having my car keyed etc. You might want to report this note to the police yourself. (?) It certainly has a threatening tone to it.

not from the US I'm international student so I dont know what should I do in this case so what do you guys think?

Ok this morning I found this attached note on my window. :ohsnap:

2h74094.jpg

The case is I live in an apartment. Installed S2 DP and Exhaust few weeks ago. Never got out from home before 10am so it not too early but that bloody loud cold start its annoying. And when ever I come back I put the car on neutral and let it slid so I dont make a noise never rived the engine.

Does He/She/it have the right to do whats on the note? So is it illegal and the police can do something? or should I just have some fun with who ever left the note?

Don't worry about it, likely someone has their panties in a bunch. There are people like this everywhere..... the cops aren't going to come investigate, at best the author of the note may try calling the building super, but even then.... there isn't much they can do.

You could also leave a nice note in the building if they have a bulletin board, photocopy the note and add your own on the bottom.... and say thanks for your concern, but there is nothing you can do, have a nice day. Print out a few copies and tape them up every day, since I am sure that they will get torn down. It would also be nice of you to circle the dis-jointed sentence and offer suggestions on how to fix it. Kill them with kindness I say!

From the disorganized writing style and grammatical errors, I would say that the person isn't a student, rather a mid 30's woman with a few kids, from the writing style and lack of forethought and composition, probably drives a 10 year old grand am / G6 / sunfire with car seats. Call me stereotypical.... :D

Ya, bad grammar....eesh! I have got grade 4s in my class who can write a better sentence than that.

No worries about getting towed. I would be more worried about having my car keyed etc. You might want to report this note to the police yourself. (?) It certainly has a threatening tone to it.

I'll keep it and see whats next first. I parked at the end of the parking its close I'm good with that at least my baby will stay safe

Don't worry about it, likely someone has their panties in a bunch. There are people like this everywhere..... the cops aren't going to come investigate, at best the author of the note may try calling the building super, but even then.... there isn't much they can do.

You could also leave a nice note in the building if they have a bulletin board, photocopy the note and add your own on the bottom.... and say thanks for your concern, but there is nothing you can do, have a nice day. Print out a few copies and tape them up every day, since I am sure that they will get torn down. It would also be nice of you to circle the dis-jointed sentence and offer suggestions on how to fix it. Kill them with kindness I say!

From the disorganized writing style and grammatical errors, I would say that the person isn't a student, rather a mid 30's woman with a few kids, from the writing style and lack of forethought and composition, probably drives a 10 year old grand am / G6 / sunfire with car seats. Call me stereotypical.... :D

hhhhh all sounds good for now i'll park little bit farther and see how will that make them happy

Well, if you do decide to write a note back, make sure to underline the word Hey.

Last edited:
You should copy and print out a bunch of that note to put on every car in the apt lot and see what happens.... im just curious

Last edited by a moderator:
Back