Help picking new wheels and tires please

New car girl here with civic coupe 2012 ex looking to purchase some more sporty looking alloy wheels.
I have 16" wheels with continental tires. Looking to possibly get all new tires with the new wheels because I might want 18" I heard that gives civics a little better look.. Opinions? I can save then my tires and wheels (I have now on) for winter only. Use the new ones in nice weather.
What brands of wheels/tires will be the best for what I'm looking for? (Looking around 1000 to spend) I mean I'm still figuring price. I deff want quality over quantity and don't want a shitty brand that I will have problems with. But also don't wanna be overpriced.
Two: let me know if I should post this elsewhere? Sorry I'm new to this forum and couldn't figure anywhere to post in this civic forum about it and saw this post on wheels and thought I'd throw my question out this way lol

Is your budget $1000 for wheels and tires or just wheels?

If it's $1000 for wheels and tires then your going to be limited as tires will be around $400 or more for a decent 18inch tire.

I was thinking 1500-2000 for wheels and tires. I was looking at bbs wheels and probably aiming towards that brand because I've seen some I like and continental for tire brand? Or is there better brand I could use on my type of model or is it all just based on price and preference? Looking for summer/performance tires and curious how the offset works when doing all this... I know there's a few common things that I need to know or that need to align in order for my tire and wheel to fit the car correctly. Also maintenance on the wheels on tires? Any good wheel cleaner.
Also If any of you guys know of forums that talk about changing out led lights or halos. I want halos on my civic lol and tinting them black. Thanks again guys for all the info!! My life is a little hectic so took awhile to answer lol

BBS wheels are expensive. Can cost $2k+ only for wheels. It depends which ones you really want. For tires I recommend Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Reactions: Nix
Welcome to the forum & congrats on the new car. Let me see if I can hit all the points you mentioned above:

Wheel shopping is pretty fun but can get overwhelming. So many choices! Tires especially.

Size wise I think 17's look good on coupes and the 18's fill out the wheel wells better on sedans. 18's look good on coupes too. I just think the 17's look small on a sedan. But thats just me.

Also, what type of look do you want from the wheels? A sporty functional track look or a wide flush cambered look? The stock offset on the wheels is +45. As the number increases, to say +50, the wheel moves inwards towards the engine. As the number gets lower, say +30, the wheel moves out towards the fender. The look you want from your wheels will definitely help people recommend size and offset.

Tires: Do you experience winter conditions and snow? Are you keeping your stock wheels? If you run into snow I highly recommend keeping the stock wheels and buying dedicated snow tires. If not, a good set of all seasons will probably work fine for you. 2 sets of wheels with purpose made tires is the best way to go but also expensive.

Continental is a fine brand of tire. So is Dunlop, Bridgestone, BFG, and so on. It's hard to pick a bad tire but it's easy to pick the wrong tire. Don't buy a high performance tire and try and drive it in a half inch of snow sort of thing. My wifes car has a fairly inexpensive set of Falken tires and they've been just fine. Surprisingly good. We also have dedicated winter setups and I have silly race car tires on mine in the summer. If you want a great summer performance tire the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is one to look at.

Pick a wheel style or look for your car, let us know what you're thinking, and we can try and help you with wheel sizing, offset, tire size, and probably a few tire suggestions as well.

Headlights and halos.... My recommendation is don't buy the ebay style projector headlights with halos. They are terrible quality and the light output is far worse than stock. A true projector retrofit is the best and can be customized with halos. Expensive but awesome.

Maintenance: My favorite wheel cleaner used to be Sonax Full Effect. Spray it on, wait 5 min, hose it off. You need to use a hose. I think CarPro Iron X does a better job and I have switched over. Same idea though. Regular car wash soap and a couple good brushes are usually adequate. Wash your wheels first, then dump your bucket and refill it before you wash your car. You don't want to get the heavy dirt from the wheels onto your paint and scratch it. Also, if you wash the car first the wheel brushes tend to fling dirt back onto the clean parts so I recommend washing the wheels first.

Ok thats long enough I think....

I have a coupe and am keeping my stock 16" for winter and these 18" I'm buying for summer only :) Thank you for all the info! I want a sporty functional offset that isn't flush cambered I hate that look! Lol And that won't cause any to low maintenance issues?.. So what offset would I like to be at? http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Mini...12&autoModClar=EX&wIndex=94&grid=true&sw=1440 this is the wheel I was looking at
With continental tire I asked my guy what kind he found but I may want to look at other wheel and or tire brands first. I want high performance because I'm only using them in summer so is that the safest bet? I want some fun too lol and where is the best place to store stock tires? And wheels? I live in Wisconsin so winters can get rough! But like I said I'd have my stock wheel and tires 16" back on in winter. Any specific brand of brushes? And how to use mirco fiber clothes? I bought some just don't want streaking lol. Headlights are coming up next just gotta get this finished :) thank you again so much for being willing to help me!

And also about brake calipers... I'd like a brand with colors I can choose from that are bright and nice quality : ) and also is auto part warehouse (app) safe to look at parts from?

Those wheels are nice and should fit pretty well. They are over $1000 for the set though. You're still gonna need at least another $500 and probably more for tires, mounting, and balancing.

Popular tires and pricing in a size that will fit that wheel:

21ljpeh.png

So you want new brake calipers eh? Are you wanting actual calipers, to paint your current ones, or just some covers you can put on?

MGP caliper covers are probably the easiest way to go about it. If you want to do brake work and swap calipers and bleed the system go for it. The stock system is plenty strong as is. New calipers that come in colors are going to be very very expensive.

This K-Sport BBK should fit your car. It's over $1500 just for the front calipers alone. It says 06-11 but it should fit your car. You'll be looking close to $1000 at least for quality brake calipers like this if this is the type of thing you want.

http://www.corsportusa.com/06-11-civic-ksport-big-brake-kit-12-front/

Caliper covers: These are like $200 and come in every color you can think of. It does nothing for braking.

before%20after.jpg

Thanks guys! Nice calipers [emoji4] I was thinking of painting mine! Any recommendations on paint!? And here are the wheels I was considering but I'm still confused at what offset I should or have because of its my daily idk if I should just keep it at 45.. I found this on tirerack and an explanation of these numbers would help me so I can choose lol also was thinking these tires because I don't wanna spend too much and those mich were super nice but a little too expensive for me right now
4f29875ea999ddd08bc94589f6711166.jpg
96e7d9a946cb98401d6dce8ac74f3605.jpg

So in that shopping cart thanks for looking up those tires and sizes for me! Could you explain how you got and or chose those numbers? :)

May I also order those wheels and tires online and go into my shop and have them put them on? Because who im working through priced me for those bbs wheels and the cws tires for 1950 $25 to them on that's including the $25 lol but I want either the tires you chose or my sport ones I just sent. Lmk on any of this.. Appreciate all the help once again!!!!

So in that shopping cart thanks for looking up those tires and sizes for me! Could you explain how you got and or chose those numbers? :)

All tire size calculations are based off your stock tire size and keeping things within 1/2% variance. That way your speed and mileage are correct and your spare tire fits as well.

You have a 16" wheel and your stock tire size is: P205/55R16 89H

Moving up to a 17" wheel a 225/45 size tire is a good fit.

Moving up to an 18" wheel a 225/40 tire size is a good fit.

Those tire widths will fit pretty much any wheel from 7" wide to 9" wide.

Just get a squared setup. Don't buy staggered wheels. Just get them all the same size.

Those tires are fine. If you really want conti tires just get them. They are fine. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between those and any other performance summer tires.

Any reputable tire shop should be able to mount the wheels and tires for you. They generally charge depending on the sidewall of the tire. $25/wheel seems pretty average. They may also charge around $10/wheel to swap over the tpms sensors.

Get wheels with an offset between +45, which is stock, and +35.

Okay so I'm also curious on the look... What brands and things do you reccomend for lug nuts and spacers? Because if I want my wheels and tire to be flush to the fender shouldn't I get a little bigger offset or how does getting that look work and it shouldn't cause too much stress on the suspension with spacers?

Back