help with meaty tires

Kevv_Si

Indianapolis
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
FB6
hello everyone im currently ordering my set of rpf1 and toyo r888 tires but im literally lost with the sizing and what combo i need to purchase etc...this is a pretty expensive buy too lol so all help is appreciated. i want your best opinion on a meaty set up ...rim size will be 17X9

What is the suspension setup - how much drop/camber/fender mods etc ? What offset on the rpf1's? 17x9 +__ ?

17X9 5x100 , i think thats a good size rim for a meaty tire lol...and i am on skunk 2 springs 2.25" drop in the front 2" in the back....i will be swapping to buddy club race spec coils but i want to purchase the wheel set up first since its more expensive..ohh and i have buddy club p1 camber kit @webby

Last edited:
5x114.3 is the proper bolt pattern you need, not 5x100. When I was talking about the offset, the rims will have a number like +25, +38, +45 and so on. That is going to play a part in the tire selection. If you had a number like +10 or something, it's going to be totally different from something that's +48. The lower the number, the further the rim is pushed out towards your fender. The stock offset is +45 for an example. Granted you're looking at a 9" wide rim. Have you already ordered the rims?

5x114.3 is the proper bolt pattern you need, not 5x100. When I was talking about the offset, the rims will have a number like +25, +38, +45 and so on. That is going to play a part in the tire selection. If you had a number like +10 or something, it's going to be totally different from something that's +48. The lower the number, the further the rim is pushed out towards your fender. The stock offset is +45 for an example. Granted you're looking at a 9" wide rim. Have you already ordered the rims?
Not yet, can you look at some enkei rpf1 with a size you'd recommend for meaty tires?

17x9 35 offset 255/40 tire
5em2yvd-jpg.45929

With 9" width and 45mm offset your wheel will be very close to your shock.

Id advise against the toyo R888 tires. Those are an R-comp tire that should only be used on the track and not just driven around. Not only will you kill the tires and wear them out extremely quickly, they will be pretty worthless in the rain. The extreme performance tire category is where you should look. The top three are the Dunlop Direzza Z2, Bridgestone RE-11A, or the BF Goodrich Rivals. Take note that the extreme performance category tires are at least a 200 tread wear rating for auto-x rules but they still wear very quickly. Also the are usually almost a size wider than stated. For example my 225 width RE-11A tires are closer to 235.

Info from Toyo:

The Proxes R888 is Toyo's Racetrack & Autocross Only tire for driving enthusiasts participating in road racing, track days and high-performance driving schools. The Proxes R888's advancements in casing and tread design improve dry performance while maintaining wet traction and control.

While Proxes R888 radials meet DOT requirements, they are not recommended for driving in wet conditions when shaved or worn where standing water is present and there is the risk of hydroplaning; drivers should drive cautiously at reduced speeds if they encounter these conditions. And like all Racetrack & Autocross Only tires, Proxes R888 radials are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice. It's also essential these tires be stored indoors at temperatures maintained above 15 degrees F.

Id advise against the toyo R888 tires. Those are an R-comp tire that should only be used on the track and not just driven around. Not only will you kill the tires and wear them out extremely quickly, they will be pretty worthless in the rain. The extreme performance tire category is where you should look. The top three are the Dunlop Direzza Z2, Bridgestone RE-11A, or the BF Goodrich Rivals. Take note that the extreme performance category tires are at least a 200 tread wear rating for auto-x rules but they still wear very quickly. Also the are usually almost a size wider than stated. For example my 225 width RE-11A tires are closer to 235.

Info from Toyo:

The Proxes R888 is Toyo's Racetrack & Autocross Only tire for driving enthusiasts participating in road racing, track days and high-performance driving schools. The Proxes R888's advancements in casing and tread design improve dry performance while maintaining wet traction and control.

While Proxes R888 radials meet DOT requirements, they are not recommended for driving in wet conditions when shaved or worn where standing water is present and there is the risk of hydroplaning; drivers should drive cautiously at reduced speeds if they encounter these conditions. And like all Racetrack & Autocross Only tires, Proxes R888 radials are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice. It's also essential these tires be stored indoors at temperatures maintained above 15 degrees F.
yeah but my car isnt a daily driver i only drive my car once a week and that saturday if that lol....i see alot of people drive around in r888's ....deff dont drive my car in the rain anyways either

Reactions: Nix

Info from Toyo:

what do you recommend for a meaty tire setup ?

Buy what you like but just be aware of what you're getting. Thats all. Id love to "need" to run a tire like that. hahaha

Size wise?.... hmmm.... If panda was able to fit that 255/40 id say go with that. The offset of your wheel is going to dictate your tire setup a little bit so you can avoid rubbing either the strut or the fender. Are you thinking of a +45 or a +35 on those wheels? With the +45 you're going to get close to the strut. It looks like panda fit that 255 on a +35. I could see a bit of fender issue there but if you're willing to do some work to fit thats a pretty wide size. Im a big fan of 235/40 since you get reduced sidewall height and increased contact patch. With those R888 you'll have tons of grip but you could probably still spin the wheels if you wanted to.

I think @safegabe ran into some rubbing issues. Let me see if I can find his thread....

Here on page 5 he talks about rubbing a bit with a 235....

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/black-2012-si-sedan.6171/page-5#post-273119

Just something to keep in mind. You can fit wide tires but if you're running -4 camber to do it you're reducing your contact patch and removing the effectiveness of the wide tire. Hence, running slightly narrower tire with a performance alignment is better than a wider tire with a "stance/fitment" camber.

Back