Hid resistors

13civicsi4

Ms
Vehicle Model
Civic si
Body Style
Sedan
hey guys any ideas would appreciated . I installed hids on my car this weekend and spent majority of the time messing with the resistors in the harness they are getting too hot for comfort. First not thinking about them getting hot I double side taped them, then when they smoked I zip ties them after reading (didn't sound like itd work but tried anyhow)now I've got them tied with stainless ties. Don't think their burning it but their still hot I can feel it through my fender. Any ideas ? Should they be that hot?

Your ballasts? Pic of what is getting hot? Nothing should be smoking, so I don't know what is wrong with your setup. Brand of kit? Using a wire/relay harness or plugged directly into your stock wiring?

Your ballasts? Pic of what is getting hot? Nothing should be smoking, so I don't know what is wrong with your setup. Brand of kit? Using a wire/relay harness or plugged directly into your stock wiring?
Not the ballasts.. Innovited was the brand. I got the relay harness with resistors for anti flicker and they are what's getting hot. The smoking was from the tape I first used, it was burning it

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Even if it's the tape smoking, that doesn't sound good. Think of how hot that has to be for it to make the tape smoke. I've never used any type of anti flicker device in any of the installs I've done. Just a standard relay/wire harness and the hid kit. I'd either pull it off & just run the relay harness, or I'd contact the company.

Agreed that what I was worried about I knew that would get "warm" but never thought that hot.. I've emailed the company asking about it and trying to figure out if I cut it out if I just need to cap the wires or what.. You think just the relay will be fine to prevent the anti flicker? I was worried about that was why I went with the harness with both

I've just never had hids that flickered. I don't know the quality of that kit though.

Me neither just wanted to be cautious.. I'm waiting to hear from the company how I need to go about by passing the resistor.

On another note, I have spec d headlights and can't for the life of me get them to adjust straight seems like they always have a z pattern.. Would you have idea as to why that is?

I would return the entire kit and get one without the anti flicker things. I have never used any anti flicker items on any of the Hondas I've owned(4 different Honda cars).

are you referring to the stair step pattern on a wall? It should look like this -

4wWSVXA.jpg

The only thing that you would need resistors for is if you have LED turn signals to prevent hyper flash otherwise the Civic don't need any resistors or capacitors. Whatever company you bought that from is misinformed and doesn't know HIDs.

That Z cut off is normal. It is created by a cut off shield inside the projector. It enables for the output on your side of the road to be as big as possible(higher) while the output on the oncoming side of the road is a bit less(lower) so you don't blind oncoming cars.

The only thing that you would need resistors for is if you have LED turn signals to prevent hyper flash otherwise the Civic don't need any resistors or capacitors. Whatever company you bought that from is misinformed and doesn't know HIDs.
Alrighty I wasn't sure and couldn't find anybody saying they needed or didn't need them.. I'm going to cut them out just got to figure out when I do cut them out if I tie those two wires together or just cap the ends or what not.. Thanks

That Z cut off is normal. It is created by a cut off shield inside the projector. It enables for the output on your side of the road to be as big as possible(higher) while the output on the oncoming side of the road is a bit less(lower) so you don't blind oncoming cars.
Alrighty good to know. I didn't have a clue I thought maybe I just wasn't doing something right

Went and cut the resistors out this morning. No heat now and working fine.. Thanks for letting me know they weren't needed :thumbsup:

Back