Holy Hand Searing Gear Knob

Legalkill

Kennesaw, GA 30152
Vehicle Model
Wife's 2014 SI
Body Style
Orange Pearl Sedan
Today must be worse than other days, but the top of the gear knob in the 2014 SI gets painfully searing hot.

Any one else notice this and are there any remedies? Maybe a knob cozie or something. Tried to hold just the under leathery part but the shaft is hot too.

Its the new test of might. Who can grasp the gear shifter the longest. I have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, R permanently seared in my palm.

Yeah I swapped mine out with an aftermarket one for that exact reason. It gets equally cold in the winter.

Of course my idea may require some thought, but drape a cloth over it when you get out.....
Or go though the torture of replacing it with a none heat conducting knob, which will be a problem removing/replacing "boot-clamp".
Haven't done it myself, but there's been plenty of post about trying to change one, and having the boot work like factory.... Just saying...

I tried putting something over mine when I wasn't in the car. A black nylon sunglass bag isn't a good option unless you want to make it hotter. ;)

I had no problems with the clamp holding the boot on. It's a fairly simple swap really depending on which one if/when you decide to swap. There are a few threads that talk about the different shift knob options.

If you get a counter-sunk knob, you can just grind down the retainer so the knob will slip over it and then the boot will clip to it as normal.

Back