Honda says 2012 Civic inventory is "virtually zero".

blackZ

NY
Just the Facts:
  • Sales of the 2012 Honda Civic appear to be stalled, with the Japanese automaker reporting that October sales of the Civic were down 2 percent.
  • Honda says it's because dealer inventory is "virtually zero" due to natural disasters in Asia, including the Japan earthquake and tsunami in March and recent flooding in Thailand.
  • "Dealers can't sell cars that they don't have on their lots," a Honda spokeswoman told Inside Line on Thursday.

http://www.insideline.com/honda/civ...ry-of-2012-honda-civic-is-virtually-zero.html

Honda would love nothing more than to sell a boatload of Civic sedans and coupes. Problem is, there just aren't enough of them to go around. Speaking to Inside Line, Chuck Schifsky, an American Honda Motor Co. spokesman, said:

"Civic sales are down for one simple reason: Low dealer inventory as a result of a shortage of small parts caused by the Great East Japan Earthquake earlier this year, which nearly halted production of the 2012 Civic... This is a supply problem, not a demand problem. There just aren't any Civics on dealer lots."

Not only did the earthquake and tsunami in Japan cause production problems, the current flooding in Thailand "will cause another delay in production," says Schifsky. In other words, if you're in the market for a new Civic, you'll likely find yourself waiting for a while.

It's also worth mentioning that we've heard reports that public response to the 2012 Civic has not been the resounding success Honda had hoped for, leading to the possibility that a refresh of the compact will come sooner rather than later.

===

3 dealerships I talked to said they haven't seen any SI models, and they have very limited to no 12's on hand. One dealership said they had seen 2 SI models, but both had been preordered and obviously sold as soon as they arrived. Dealerships by me have next to nothing on hand. They usually have 1-3 on hand max at any given time, and sometimes they've had nothing on the lot.

My local Austin dealership said the same. I asked if they had black "hahahaha, nope." I said...do you have a manual I could test drive? "hahahahahahahaha nope."

While I agree that certain areas might not have outages, I would argue that in certain places they most certainly do. Large metropolitan areas in states less affected by the economic downturn, for example.

Went past a dealership today = zero 2012's

Autotrader shows that there are 18,607 2012 HONDA Civic in America.
From my prev post above, HONDA has ~ 4-5 weeks of supply left.

Back