Honda Shows Off Side Mirror Camera System

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8CiN_an1a4

The Side Camera Mirror System will be fitted as standard to Honda’s electric compact car, marking a first in the segment. The compact rear view cameras provide live images to two 6-inch screens positioned inside the vehicle at either end of the dashboard. Honda says the displays are placed ergonomically “to ensure a natural feel and vision for the driver.”

V94ZL6C.jpg

The cameras are contained within the width of the Honda e and do not extend beyond the wheel arches. The tiny cameras produce less wind noise than conventional side mirrors at higher speeds, thus contributing to a quieter ride. This serves to improve visibility and reduce aerodynamic drag by around 90 percent compared to conventional door mirrors. These changes make the cars overall aerodynamic efficiency 3.8 percent better thanks to the compact cameras alone.

When reverse gear is selected, guidelines appear on the side view screens in addition to an enhanced camera angle for improved visibility when backing up.

vtxdRX9.jpg

gsniVVy.jpg

Reservations for the Honda e, the brand’s first all-electric vehicle to be sold in Europe, are now open in four markets across the continent.

Customers in the UK, Germany, France, and Norway can secure an early build slot for the Honda e via a dedicated online reservation website by paying a refundable reservation fee that, in the UK, is £800 (approximately $1,015).

Customers will then be able to place an order from later this year but they won’t get their Honda e delivered earlier than spring 2020. The reservation system only allows buyers to choose from five exterior color options for the Honda e. Those include Platinum White Metallic, Crystal Black Pearl, Crystal Blue Metallic, Modern Steel Metallic, and Charge Yellow.

qFc0jKp.jpg

iF2GZS4.jpg

C0mrIdx.jpg

OYFSh28.jpg

The company is still keeping most specifications a secret regarding the new E. All we know is the it will deliver a range of over 125 miles (201 km) and a 30-minute fast charge function to 80 percent battery capacity.

Launching the e compact EV is part of Honda’s commitment to have 100 percent of automobile sales in Europe with electrified powertrains by 2025. Pricing hasn’t yet been set, but according to Honda, the current speculation of a UK price between £25,000 and £40,000 ($33,000 to $52,000) is reasonable. That’s right in line with Tesla’s latest Model 3 pricing. Honda also intends to do a limited production run for Japan, but as of right now, the company doesn’t have plans to bring its city-oriented EV to the US market.

The camera side mirror system is innovative and very cool/functional, but what happens when the cameras go out? Not trying to be a naysayer and all that, but the old way was there for a reason.

Not really surprised that they have no plans for a U.S. market release. I don't think the demand would quite be there for a Honda EV just yet. While Tesla is doing well and Nissan's Leaf is pretty mainstream, i think Honda can see that the demand in our market is just not where it needs to be yet.

• Staff
I would imagine it'd be comparable to like the lanewatch camera found on some hondas. The camera operates and shows you what's on the right hand side of the car when you use your signal. I found a replacement camera from honda for around $170. Still an expense if you're out of warranty no doubt.

Cool idea!! the only other thing I see wrong is when it rains I can't see anything out of my camera now.

very cute, elmo will sneak around and put mud on the camera:brock:

Just bought a emgo mirror for the Honda vfr 800 cost me $30, this camera :turbobananapoke:will not work on a motorcycle. I do have a waterproof GPS however from tom tom that works very well, but it is kind of big so I don't use it too much.

Back