how to clean steering wheel...

paulga

so how many of you actually would never care about cleaning it?
I cannot decide on a stuff that does not take leather, or plastic coated leather at all when you rub it on the surface.
There are lots of cleaners/ conditioners, such as Neats foot oil, Saddle soap paste, that are specifically stated for leather. There are also products for "leather/vinyl", which are actually saying for polyurethane coated leather. According to some experienced person, all American cars and most European cars' leather are plastic coated. What about Civic Si?
What leather cleaning products do you use?
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the composition of our leather, but i've used a few different meguiar's interior detailing products and even leather conditioner/cleaner and have not noticed much of a difference in the performance of the products on our leather, except that the leather cleaning products tend to leave less residue on the leather afterwards.

I've just used leather wipes that you can buy in a can.

LKK0Mjc.jpg

something like this, but it wasn't armor all.

Thanks for replies. Meguiar QID is said safe for leather.
currently I have Armor All powerful cleaning can and it states safe for all surfaces including leather.
The manual instructions are to use 90% water mixed with 10% neutral soap, but ppl says it still scrub a little black finish/dye off of the outer coat..
I'm looking at Leather Master products: http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Maste...=UTF8&colid=1CJB1JMQA9L7&coliid=IIMX8OA9WS6MA
will try it in a month.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. Meguiar QID is said safe for leather.
currently I have Armor All powerful cleaning can and it states safe for all surfaces including leather.
The manual instructions are to use 90% water mixed with 10% neutral soap, but ppl says it still scrub a little black finish/dye off of the outer coat..
I'm looking at Leather Master products: http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Maste...=UTF8&colid=1CJB1JMQA9L7&coliid=IIMX8OA9WS6MA
will try it in a month.
I think that Leather Master kit is going a bit overboard on the leather cleaning. The only leather is the steering wheel cover and the shift boot, unless you have an EL-X with leather seats... that's the only way I could see this not being overkill.

I like Lexol leather cleaner in the orange bottle. It's a mild suds-ing soap you use on a wet sponge. I would just use it, wipe suds off with a damp towel and leave it alone. You really just want to clean it, right? Enough oils from hands will keep it from cracking. But if you are determined to use a leather conditioner, I'd use the Lexol conditioner in the brown bottle. Love that stuff for my bomber jacket, leather chair, etc.

Last edited:
I think that Leather Master kit is going a bit overboard on the leather cleaning. The only leather is the steering wheel cover and the shift boot, unless you have an EL-X with leather seats... that's the only way I could see this not being overkill.
after some research it looks like the leather coat on the steering wheel, the initial supple matte finish will at last deteriorate due to erosion of hand oil, hand lotion/balm, dust and grimes.. leaving only a slick smooth appearance.. so there is a limit to it. frequent cleaning/conditioning ( say, once every two months) probably could slow down this process?

after some research it looks like the leather coat on the steering wheel, the initial supple matte finish will at last deteriorate due to erosion of hand oil, hand lotion/balm, dust and grimes.. leaving only a slick smooth appearance.. so there is a limit to it. frequent cleaning/conditioning ( say, once every two months) probably could slow down this process?
Oh I don't dispute that you should clean it. I was just saying that the Leather Master kit seems a bit over the top in both price and the amount of things it comes with. A simple microfiber cloth and leather or interior cleaning product should do the trick.

Thanks all. The complex questions about how to clean possibly plastic coated leather steering wheel finally boil down to a couple of actionable choices and the next is to try out..
Thanks again.

I used meguiars leather cleaner or whatever its called on my steering a couple weeks ago. Didnt notice a difference from using the regular interior cleaner I use.

Back